Best Internet Security apps for Performace computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I do video editing and want to make sure i'm getting top performance out of my computer. I realize most internet security suites like McAfee and Norton use a lot of system resources which can eat up my precious RAM.

My question is; What if I Had a dual boot; With one partition for internet, and the other for best performance editing? Say The internet side has McAfee full internet security suite on it. -And The performace Editing partition has only AVG free, and windows Firewall and never surfs the internet except for program updates. Would I be safe if i did this? -using the one partition to scan the other partition?

(I would unplug altogether but with our video business we need to be able to exchange files over the home network 1000mbs computer to computer at any given time)

I assume scans from one partition would pick up spy ware, viruses, ect on the other windows partition fine right? Seems like a silly question to ask this, but as if have learned there are always exceptions that you never would consider. As well, I wonder if Diskeeper Defragmenter on the internet partition would be fine also for defragmenting for the other windows partition?

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
It would be easier and safer to just turn off all the security except your firewall when you're editing/rendering. The alternative would be to build a computer strictly for video editing. While video editing is very CPU intensive, if you only install the programs you absolutely need and only run the services/programs you absolutely have to, even an AMD 6000+ would work. Would be less than $500 or so.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
uniblue is absolutely the best and very easy to use hardly uses any resources. There is speedupmypc,spyeraser,registycleaner I just installed on a buddys puter and even he cannot believe what this has done for his system. It is going to be the top of the charts very soon this product has very nice reviews by every user that tried it.

hypermagic

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007

nod32, but it's not free.

I use Zonealarm, Sbybot S&D and AVG.

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
You missing the point here I think….antivirus has one main function, it is to protect your system. You can find “lite” AV software like AVG, the question is if you will be safe or feel safe. You want antivirus, please use the one that can protect you, like Kaspersky, Nod32 or Mcafee.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Who says AVG can't protect you? Thought they had a good detection rate. Either way, to me it's free, so I don't have to pay for the program and then again each year to renew. I don't mind buying a program, but I don't want to be paying a subscription fee either. I personally use AVG antivirus, the free edition, as well as PC tools Firewall plus, which is a free personal firewall program similar to Zonealarm, they seem to do their job pretty well, and they work, and are free. As for me, if I get a virus, I will deal with it at that time. But if you are doing intensive work like the editing, you should be doing backups anyway, never know if there will be a hard drive crash, etc. Also, don't get norton, last time I used that, I was completely unimpressed as the program seemed like junk and didn't even want to run right. Sorry, but for 50 bucks or more, ya gotta do better than that.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
If you really have your mind set on getting the most performance from that video editing pc, then your best bet would be to have no antinasty software at all. And you could use the internet on a cheaper 500-600 dollar pc. Don't you think that would be more convenient. Even the best antinasty software can't detect everything. It may be in you internest to avoid using the internet on that pc and using the internet on a cheaper pc.

G

I agree with you. Also add a good KVM. This is what I do. Also save yourself some future install time by making a good hard drive image once you have your system setup the way you want it ( I like Acronis for this).

Status
Not open for further replies.