To anyone using VMware Server (or other).

thesansman

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Hi all

I am hoping to get a new computer this Friday :D , please view signature for its specifications. Since it will be capable of running a 64bit OS I decided that I should only install that type. Thus brings me to the problem that Microsoft still does not have a decent 64bit system for non server applications :lol: . Vista will appear sometime next year, thus meaning I will not be able to purchase it until the end of 2007 to early 2008, assuming that there are no major issues with it then :wink: . I do not mind using Linux in the mean time, since I do not really do gaming or anything that really requires Windows.

While researching for this new computer I discovered virtualization and thought that this would be much better way to toy with different OS’s without having to set-up a bunch of partitions :eek:. Currently I have a multi-boot system (Window ME :twisted: with Fedora Core 4 :) ) which limits what other OS’s I can experiment with because of the need to have a free partition. The idea of being able to load a single OS and install VMware Server, then I can load and delete different OSs without having to repartition the drive is like a dream come true 8O .

My question regarding VMware to those currently using it, what OS (linux 64bit) are you using as the host for it?

Does anyone run a guest with the beta version of Vista? If so does Vista work reasonably well?

Does anyone have any suggestions of other Virtualization software to try and if so a suggested OS (preferably free)?

thesansman

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Microsoft put Virtual Server 2004/5 up for free download. You can load a variety of other servers with it I believe.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I have the free (as in beer) VMWare Server installed on ym x64 Linux install. I have installed the Vista beta and it ran a little slow (even on my machine) but it seemed to work OK. I didn't keep it because of the space it used.

thesansman

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I have the free (as in beer) VMWare Server installed on ym x64 Linux install. I have installed the Vista beta and it ran a little slow (even on my machine) but it seemed to work OK. I didn't keep it because of the space it used.

Which Linux distribution are you using?

Someone at work as suggested using SUSE because he likes it, he never used VMware. However I am inclined to do so because I get the cds from him. Any thoughts?

As for using Microsoft Virtual server, I will have to buy a windows OS now. Something I do not want to do until after Vista has proven some stability.

thesansman