Anyone Use Rock XP to Re-Activate Windows?

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Just a quick question as to the functionality and reliability of Rock XP.

Supposedly it can backup your activation files for Windows XP in case you needed to reformat. Anyone use this feature as I plan to reformat my current setup and I don't know if my XP keys can be re-activated again (since I've reinstalled Windows so many times due to issues)

Thanks.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Just a quick question as to the functionality and reliability of Rock XP.

Supposedly it can backup your activation files for Windows XP in case you needed to reformat. Anyone use this feature as I plan to reformat my current setup and I don't know if my XP keys can be re-activated again (since I've reinstalled Windows so many times due to issues)

Thanks.

If you have a legit copy of XP and are having issues with activation all you need to do is call Microsoft up and they will sort it for you.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Well, my friend told me about that process and how long it could be. I prefer to be able to do my own thing, especially when I own 2 legal copies of XP and can't activate either one from all the reinstalls that I've done (OCing too much, virus issues, and just not thinking about not-activating until everything's just right).

Oh well, I guess I'll have to resort to that option anyway.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Well, my friend told me about that process and how long it could be. I prefer to be able to do my own thing, especially when I own 2 legal copies of XP and can't activate either one from all the reinstalls that I've done (OCing too much, virus issues, and just not thinking about not-activating until everything's just right).

Oh well, I guess I'll have to resort to that option anyway.

Have you ever tried calling Microsoft up. It's not a hugely lengthy process.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I guess I'll have to. But the whole point of my question was to know if I can do it without having to contact MS everytime I need to do re-activate. I am constantly upgrading platforms, and a few months from now, I plan to build a laptop. To me, contacting them everytime is a hassle.

Corksil

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Yepo, I remember reading that a few weeks back, and saying - This is going to come in handy, I am saving it.

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Support.Microsoft.com

Do a search, M$ tells you what 2 files you need to backup in order to save your activation.

On a side note, I've never had to reinstall Windows because of spyware or viruses. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had to reinstall it for anything, even OC'ing, though I only did what the mobo had available. Everything seems to picky today over OC'ing.