Give me some spyware!!! Yes you read that right....

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Alright guys heres the deal.

I do quite alot of selling on Craigslist.org and about 75% of the responses I get are from the losers over in nigeria hopeing to scam me into the whole "USPS money order I'll handle shipping plus pay you extra" deal. So I decided to make a nice little re-direct webpage to include in my responses to these people...

I think it'd go alittle something like this:

Nigerian b*stard:Hello,
Kindly let me know if your item is still available for sale and also
in good condition because i am buying it for someone as a gift.
If that is ok kindly get back to me with your full name and address so
that i can proceed with the payment and also i will not mind offering
you more money due to the urgency need of the item and immediately the
payment goes through i will be the one to handle the shipping myself
through my courier service so you do not have to worry about the
shipping.
thanks and kindly get back to me.

Me:
Yeah sure it's still available!!! Here let me give you my address and shipping information, here is a copy of my letterhead, ("www.mydomain.com/secret_spy_page.htm") it has all my info on it, I just didnt feel like typing it again I hope thats ok. It's been a pleasure doing business with you!!! Hope to hear form you soon.

I just figured it would be a fun way to let them know they've completely wasted my time. Being as I am an OS X user, I'm feeling fairly safe. I want you guys to get me the most destructive, asnnoying, most invasive spyware. Seriously. If you have something, or know of someone who does, please let me know!!!

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
1) The legality of that is very much suspect. Very.
2) Hurting one deserving group that also helps another bunch of scumbags is not my idea of a great plan
3) Even if it does work, you you may be subjected to various (D)DoS attacks in retaliation. You ISP will not thank you.

Otherwise, if you are still bent on doing this, search around on some of the darker corners on the internet. IRC security channels or security sites might yield something, but more likely will just get the same kind of response at best.

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
See?

bmouring agrees with me! ;)

He posted this in General Discussion under Win XP and I told him pretty much what you've told him... except the ISP part which I hadn't considered.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Indeed, sometimes the best thing to do in a situation like this is to just build up a good baysian filter on your mail client so these emails don't even bother you. If you absolutely must be proactive, report the user to someone like spamhause.

Rather than a solution to an issue he's beeing running into, it sounds like a Mac user who wants to let everyone know that he is invulnerable against the common maladies of Windows. I love the actual hardware and software of Macs, but I just can't stand the (stereo)typical user. Unfortunately they seem to be the rule rather than the exception. </rant>

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Relatively invulnerable... but definately not completely invulnerable. I subscribe to Panda's Oxygen 24/7 alerts and while I don't see a lot of Mac OS vulnerabilities compared to Windows... they still do exist.

Hell, I see more Linux vulnerabilities come up than Mac OS... but then that's probably because there are even more Linux users than Mac OS users. That in itself should tell these so-called "power users" that maybe they picked the wrong boat in which to sail away.

;)