Tomb Raider to Feature AMD's, Cystal Dynamics' TressFX Hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_411766&feature=iv&src_vid=tZljXmUEdHo&v=mhFtXPObG1Y

wow... that looks like hell...
dont get me wrong, the hair does look better than standard, but the part where it would really shine is ine the cutscenes, but because of how the character was modeled, it floats about 4 inches off her shoulders.

the hair should either rest on the model or fall through it slightly, because that would look better than floating like it currently does...

this may be patchable, but currently, i would rather play the game without it enabled just because i would notice it all the time.

the tech is great, and a real step forward, and with hair in that big of strands, they would cast a shadow, but current hardware cant display a defused shadow like you would get with real hair without crapping itself so better to make it how they did than anticipate future hardware solving their problems like crytech does.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annot [...] hFtXPObG1Ywow... that looks like hell... [/citation] It does look rather uncanny-valley. Makes me wonder what effort they went to to study how hair moves and falls. Hair doesn't move in large contiguous lumps of strands like that. Nor does it float inches off the body. Nor does it undulate with slow, regular oscillation in the wind.

They have some tweaking to do but the basic framework is there and as one of my pet peeves is how crap hair normally looks in games, I'm all for TressFX and what could follow.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]CrArC[/nom]It does look rather uncanny-valley. Makes me wonder what effort they went to to study how hair moves and falls. Hair doesn't move in large contiguous lumps of strands like that. Nor does it float inches off the body. Nor does it undulate with slow, regular oscillation in the wind.They have some tweaking to do but the basic framework is there and as one of my pet peeves is how crap hair normally looks in games, I'm all for TressFX and what could follow.[/citation]

when i say it looks like hell, im not talking about how it moves, im talking about the blatent flaw of it floating like it does and that it cant be un seen.

the reason it floats in strands like that is because current hardware can not in any way shape or form handle every strand of hair, at least not when also takeing into account that there is a game and not a tech demo that also needs to be played too.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]CrArC[/nom]It does look rather uncanny-valley. Makes me wonder what effort they went to to study how hair moves and falls. Hair doesn't move in large contiguous lumps of strands like that. Nor does it float inches off the body. Nor does it undulate with slow, regular oscillation in the wind.They have some tweaking to do but the basic framework is there and as one of my pet peeves is how crap hair normally looks in games, I'm all for TressFX and what could follow.[/citation]
Agreed, but let me know which card is able to individually animate 100,000 strands and i'm with you
This is a noticable upgrade from the previous generations of hair which looked like a generic Legoman
This is progress and we should be be applauding it, not picking holes because it doesn't look "real" enough

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annot [...] hFtXPObG1Ywow... that looks like hell... dont get me wrong, the hair does look better than standard, but the part where it would really shine is ine the cutscenes, but because of how the character was modeled, it floats about 4 inches off her shoulders. the hair should either rest on the model or fall through it slightly, because that would look better than floating like it currently does...this may be patchable, but currently, i would rather play the game without it enabled just because i would notice it all the time. the tech is great, and a real step forward, and with hair in that big of strands, they would cast a shadow, but current hardware cant display a defused shadow like you would get with real hair without crapping itself so better to make it how they did than anticipate future hardware solving their problems like crytech does.[/citation]

It's what is called in real life "blowing in the wind". This is the physics part. Just rendering the hair lifelessly would have bee no good. Doh... Look at the angle of the rain.

What you need to see is a video of the effect maybe.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Agreed, but let me know which card is able to individually animate 100,000 strands and i'm with you...This is a noticable upgrade from the previous generations of hair which looked like a generic Legoman...This is progress and we should be be applauding it, not picking holes because it doesn't look "real" enough[/citation]
Actually from a technical perspective this "new" tech is very rudimentary. The performance hit with this enabled is unacceptable for a feature that was supposed to address the problems that arise from generating realistic hair, and yet it's a definite resource hog. TressFX locks the hair dynamics into a static mode (always dry, always has the same weight, always clean, etc.) so while it might flutter in the air, it generally ignores the direction of the wind, and does not react normally to movement. Show me long hair that behaves this way... when a person with long hair turns, does the hair explode with a sudden surge of chaotic movement? Things might improve, but it just seems more hype than substance the way it works now. Watch "A New Dawn" demo and see how nvidia managed to create really natural looking and moving hair - yes, yes, it's just a demo, but the tech and tools to reproduce it in-game are there, and I wouldn't be shocked if nvidia would now come out with something just to antagonize AMD's lacklustre attempt at this.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Jeeeeeesus people here are picky. People have no idea how difficult it is to do this sort of work. If you people think you can do better, put down your controllers (mouse, keyboards, whatever), leave your parents basement, and go attempt something along these lines, see how far you get. Stop complaining and enjoy it.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]Jeeeeeesus people here are picky. People have no idea how difficult it is to do this sort of work. If you people think you can do better, put down your controllers (mouse, keyboards, whatever), leave your parents basement, and go attempt something along these lines, see how far you get. Stop complaining and enjoy it.[/citation]
Oh ok, sorry, forgive me for having an opinion. Maybe you should sell that condo your daddy bought you and come down into the real world where we can show you that your word is not the final one. Stop telling people what to do and enjoy it.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
The screenshot looks amazing, man. There are issues of course, like floating as stated above, but I prefer that (maybe patched, giving more weight to each individual strand, so gravity pushes as it should) rather than the solid wig-like styling-gel-stiff hair models.

On a separate note, looking at all this stuff lately... Seems AMD is doing its homework. For what I see, their PR and marketing teams are working better. Is that just me?

Good to see that, just as well as seeing AMD within Crysis3 when we are all used to the 'How it's meant to be played'. Giving screen time to such successes is great, so people notice how well both teams are doing. AMD has a lot of work to do yet, of course, but with people's attention, maybe market share will go up, which is good for all of us.

claptrap22

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I've now played a few hours of TR. With crossfired 7950's @ 1000/1425, I've been playing with every bell and whistle maxed out, including TressFX. My opinion is that it is a stunning effect and it sometimes seems out of place because the hair seems 'more real' than the people do, so it comes across at moments like a very odd combination of various animation techniques. I don't think this is something to complain about. If you don't like it, just turn it off. As with many new graphical perks, it will likely be overused and oddly implemented at first and then integrated properly. Just think of light bloom or depth of field, both of which were often used - and sometimes still are - to irritating effect.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
[citation][nom]aragis[/nom]Forget about the hair AMD, make the boobs jiggle realistically.[/citation]
She had those done in Tijuana, they really are that stiff.

Status
Not open for further replies.