Opera’s Secrets Unlocked: 16 Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaloFG

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Hardly a secrets, they're more like tips. And yes, once time that you try opera, you never get leave anymore.

(The Best browser in the know Universe :D)

P.D. Sorry, I'm learning english :S

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Besides the functionality, all web browsers are going in the same direction, in design aspect. From the basic layout to the position of the tabs, Chrome, Opera soon to be,Firefox....and of course Internet Explorer will come tugging along. What makes Opera different IMO is that they think independently and constantly bring new features to the user, not that other companies don't do this but Opera seems to "Get it".

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Opera is simply the best. Started using Opera at version 3.2 and have never looked back. It's lightweight, it's intuitive, it's efficient, and it's 100% customizable. I never did like tabbed browsing, for example, so I have disabled tabs. Why have tabs when Windows provides tabs at the bottom of the screen (the taskbar)? Redundant and a waste of screen real estate. The one feature I couldn't live without is mouse gestures. I'd wager that even most Opera users have not tried mouse gestures. Try them! Much more efficient than clicking the back and forward arrows.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Used Opera for years on my PC until about 6 months ago when i switched to Google Chrome

Opera Mini is still the best browser for cell phones, and the nice thing about using it on your PC and Phone is that you can sync your bookmarks...

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The one main reason I still use Firefox is Noscript. As far as I know, you still can't use it or anything similar on any non-Mozilla browser.

asiaprime

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]The one main reason I still use Firefox is Noscript. As far as I know, you still can't use it or anything similar on any non-Mozilla browser.[/citation]
fyi: chrome has an extension for that now (I haven't tried it). I still use firefox for ietab, the chrome version is kind of buggy.

I'm still annoyed I'm stuck using ie6 to check for compatability when I design websites. stupid ~50% of browsers...

I'm going to try out opera :D so far chrome is good for brute speed. maybe it'll be better.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Chrome features a multi-process architecture and a strong policy sandbox that resists malware beautifully without needing the user to whitelist all the sites they visit.

But if you would like to use Noscript...

Google Chrome is working hard to add support for Noscript but trying to do so without actally slowing the browser down... but it is their intent to do so. I would be looking for it soon... maybe in Chrome 5? Though i would rather see it as a built in feature rather than having to add an extension to block flash/java

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=21541

i dont know if Opera is doing so, for i have stopped reading a lot of the updated news about Opera

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
i just looked at the options in Chrome 5 and one of them is to not allow sites to run JavaScript and not to allow sites to use plugins. I do not believe this was in Chrome 4 but its there now...

ive never actually used Noscript so if someone wants to try this out and tell whether it behaves similarly to Noscript would be great.

G

Will Opera turbo improve flash performance on UNbuntu over that of Firefox and Chrome? Like to watch MLB.TV without jumpy or rather stuttering video.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]BobT_KY[/nom]Will Opera turbo improve flash performance on UNbuntu over that of Firefox and Chrome? Like to watch MLB.TV without jumpy or rather stuttering video.[/citation]

Unfortunately, Flash content and animated images are not compressed, so you won't see any performance increase in video playback. Opera turbo is mostly intended to make up for the fact that most websites now take advantage of the fact that most people have broadband and can download a large page in seconds. For someone on dial-up or other slow connection, these large pages are a nightmare, and Opera Turbo makes a significant difference, allowing them to load up to 5 times faster.

arnweb

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]The one main reason I still use Firefox is Noscript. As far as I know, you still can't use it or anything similar on any non-Mozilla browser.[/citation]
In Opera browser press F12 Key and uncheck "Enable JavaScript", So no script will be executed.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
[citation][nom]someguyperson[/nom]If only they could integrate half of these features into Opera Mini...[/citation]

definitely agree!!!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I think another cool featuer in Opera 10.50 (at least I don't recall it before then) is the Inspect Element feature. Right click anywhere on a page and click Inspect Element, it will actually expand out the HTML and any CSS attributes applied. Wonder why your text doesn't look quite right? You can see which attributes it inheriting from which elements (and the final computed styles being applied). Way cool development feature.

G

As a developer, Javasscript is pretty much the only way you can get a good user experience on complex interactive websites. Waiting for entire pages to load in response to user interaction is really limiting. I don't cotton much to paranoids that deny themselves any content formatted with javascript.

Opera 10.5 is the best version by far. It is amazingly speedy and unlike Chrome and Safari, the URL bar has a recently visited dropdown similar to Firefox, Internet Explorer.

I have been using Firefox and Opera more lately because IE is so slow and buggy these days. However IE has some better UI features that I miss in other browsers, such as the history / bookmarks bar on the left, the delete button is disabled for the tab that is not currently active, and the way downloaded files are saved to a folder you specify BEFORE each download. I can't stand the way all of the others do it by downloading to some random folder without asking first where to save it, requiring me to remember to move it to a better place later which I sometimes forget. I really don't care for download window either. Some of us are capable of managing our own files and putting them in the right places where we can find them, thank you.

G

@Marcus52

Opera does NoScript just fine (no bloaty extension needed, it's built in).

F12, brings it up. (for site) Shift F12 for ALL sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.