Wii U Sales Slumping in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Booboo...

3DS anyone? There is no games, so of course it is happening. Thing will be different when Zelda and Mario will be out. Even there, Nintendo is the only one of the 3 who can live with their first party library alone. They did it with the N64 and the GC.

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I can tell you right now, i live in Japan, and nobody really cares about the Wii U... honestly. Most japanese children are still well-beyond attached to their 3DS'. And as a parent, i really dont trust my children to hold a tablet that's half the size of them. During new years (which is like christmas/black friday in japan) Nobody was sitting there waiting in line to buy a Wii U..

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
The fact only 1 tablet is supported as the controller in the console is just a deal killer. 1 person gets the cool controller and 3 get stuck with the wimotes. So many awesome gaming opportunities lost with their bad design. Could have had support for games with more than 4 players, everyone gets a tablet. I'm not sure what they were thinking at all.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Things will change come June. After the huge pre-announcement of games yesterday, things will turn around. They have a WindWaker remake, an HD Zelda game on the way, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. These are Nintendo's traditional bread and butter, and exclusive to Nintendo, so it should reignite a sizable portion of the console gaming market. I'll be getting one to play Bayonetta 2 as well.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]3DS anyone? [/citation]

I would if the resoulution of the screen didnt challenge a Potato

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Remakes and traditional games don't cut it this time around.
Nintendo needs to justify that completely unappealing controller with a game really, really making use of it.

I'm looking at the controller wondering what the heck were they thinking. Big, clumsy, ugly, expensive.
And they are not answering.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]Things will change come June. After the huge pre-announcement of games yesterday, things will turn around. They have a WindWaker remake, an HD Zelda game on the way, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. These are Nintendo's traditional bread and butter, and exclusive to Nintendo, so it should reignite a sizable portion of the console gaming market. I'll be getting one to play Bayonetta 2 as well.[/citation]

I don't know why thought out comments are always turned down. This happens to every console a huge launch followed by slowing sales. Once better games designed for the system start coming out and the price drops sales will pickup again and will level out.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Jarmo[/nom]Remakes and traditional games don't cut it this time around.Nintendo needs to justify that completely unappealing controller with a game really, really making use of it.I'm looking at the controller wondering what the heck were they thinking. Big, clumsy, ugly, expensive.And they are not answering.[/citation]

Why would they answer you, you clearly haven't used it. While it is big, it's pretty light and comfortable. What, no games that "use it"? Zombi U uses the gamepad as the menu, inventory, radar, scanner, map. It uses it pretty well.

Either way, the answer here is pretty obvious, and it isn't "Wii sux buy PC LOLOL." Wii U has pretty much nothing new until spring. There's a lot come spring, but until then it's been dead since launch. If you didn't buy one at launch, might as well wait. 3rd parties may even be waiting until E3 before they announce anything solid. They may even be waiting to see if XBox and PS4 will block used game sales (which will really impress publishers, even if it doesn't impress the consumer).

Another thing to consider is that most of the popular games for it at the moment are not games that sell well in Japan. 3DS on the other hand is pretty popular there with an increasingly powerful lineup of JRPGs. Nintendo is still profitable at home.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]computerguy72[/nom]The fact only 1 tablet is supported as the controller in the console is just a deal killer. 1 person gets the cool controller and 3 get stuck with the wimotes. So many awesome gaming opportunities lost with their bad design. Could have had support for games with more than 4 players, everyone gets a tablet. I'm not sure what they were thinking at all.[/citation]

Wow that's a huge CON right there, I can't believe this isn't announced more. Next you'll tell me that the tablet doesn't even save your game files? So I can't just take it to another WiiU and play with my profile ?

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]I don't know why thought out comments are always turned down. This happens to every console a huge launch followed by slowing sales. Once better games designed for the system start coming out and the price drops sales will pickup again and will level out.[/citation]
+1. Agreed. Anyone who's been around more than one generation knows this is the common lifecycle of a console. So be at ease youngsters, you can stop predicting the end of Nintendo. Nothing to see here. Move along.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Wow that's a huge CON right there, I can't believe this isn't announced more. Next you'll tell me that the tablet doesn't even save your game files? So I can't just take it to another WiiU and play with my profile ?[/citation]

The controller is a touch screen, not a tablet. There are no CPU in the tablet, all the data is sent to it from the main unit with wireless tech. Also Nintendo said several times that at launch it will only support one WiiU controller with a screen. Implying that down the line it will be able to use two.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Agreed. Anyone who's been around more than one generation knows this is the common lifecycle of a console.

Given that the upcoming titles are remakes and rehashes done multiple times before, this time may actually be different... Let's also not forget that the tablet market is starting to encroach too.

Status
Not open for further replies.