Megaupload Successor Mega Launches; 1 Million Sign up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I can predict that in few years it would become main street and end up doing what others try to do to it, anyone running mega clone sites yet.

nino_z

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
The US Government is not the world's authority on internet issues and should have nothing to say outside of the US. I personally don't like Kim Dotcom but one thing he said is absolutelly correct - "The internet belongs to no man!"

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
This will most certainly be heavily used to share content both legal and illegal, obviously of course, but...realistically, this should never be used to store your personal files as a permanent solution.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
And I still can use anything othar than Chrome or equivalent (Maxthon comes to mind) to use their services.

Support Opera and then we'll talk.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
What's funny is that he turned the raid of his property into a complete publicity stunt, likely kept a good amount of money from Megaupload without issuing refunds, then resold the same people Mega accounts.

Make no mistake, Kim Dotcom is a criminal. He was a criminal before he even founded Megaupload, when he fled Europe to NZ to avoid charges there and changed his name to Dotcom. But he is one smart and manipulative criminal and has pretty much pulled down the pants of the United States DoJ. They aren't going to do anything this time, because after the outcry from last time, New Zealand officials are unlikely to bend to the US' whims ever again. He allowed them to the first time, considering he owns property in Hong Kong and the US government isn't so much as going to sneeze if he retreats there. He probably orchestrated this entire thing and walked away even richer for it.

Pinhedd

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nino_z[/nom]The US Government is not the world's authority on internet issues and should have nothing to say outside of the US. I personally don't like Kim Dotcom but one thing he said is absolutelly correct - "The internet belongs to no man!"[/citation]

The US Department of Commerce still has veto power and oversight over Internet policy and administration through its contract with ICANN. Additionally, most of the generic TLDs are fully subject to US law.

oxiide

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
I find it odd that he brags about how raid-proof it allegedly is due to its encryption, then goes on to say that its basically a legitimate Dropbox clone with a legal right to exist. The latter is the only "raid-proofing" a site actually needs.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Mega will be encrypted, subsequently allowing only those who upload data to have access to it. To further strengthen security, data is also being stored in the cloud. The site is apparently raid-proof through the implementation of an "Advanced Encryption Standard algorithm".

I have a few problems with this statement... lets start with "data is also being stored in the cloud". OF COURSE IT IS THE "CLOUD" IS THEIR SERVERS.

The first and last sentances in that same quote go together. It is encrypted with AES.

Besides all of the above the only way it would really be "raid-proof" is if Mega's servers didn't have access to the AES keys (which I suspect they do). A secure implementation would be to generate and store the key ONLY on the client. This way if the servers get raided there is only encrypted data without any keys.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008

Actually I suspect that is exactly what it's doing. When you "upload" your files you chose a "password", that password then becomes the seed that generated the encryption key. Anyone you share that password with will be able to download the files, Kim himself won't be able to decrypt them. This creates an interesting legal situation, he can legally say he has no idea what the users data is and doesn't have access to it. The MPAA trolls who haunt file sharing sites will have a tough time getting access to the files and therefor won't be able to send complaints / take down notices. And if somehow the US Government raids his facility, the system will be useless as they won't have the millions of access keys required to look at the data.

So by "raid-proof" he means that since he doesn't have the keys, he couldn't be forced to give them to a law enforcement agency.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]And I still can use anything othar than Chrome or equivalent (Maxthon comes to mind) to use their services.Support Opera and then we'll talk.[/citation]

And it still can't use anything other than * was my intent. Missing an edit here...

G

"...allowing only those who upload data to have access to it"

As long as this is the case, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with the Mega service. If the uploader is the only one who can access the data that s/he uploads, then Mega isn't a file sharing service anymore. It's a cloud service.

I still think people are going to try to shut them down. For that reason, I wouldn't trust my files on their servers.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
[citation][nom]notamouse[/nom]"...allowing only those who upload data to have access to it"As long as this is the case, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with the Mega service. If the uploader is the only one who can access the data that s/he uploads, then Mega isn't a file sharing service anymore. It's a cloud service.I still think people are going to try to shut them down. For that reason, I wouldn't trust my files on their servers.[/citation]

Reread it again. I said the password would be the seed for the encryption key, anyone having the password would be able to decrypt the file. The passwords would not be stored (hopefully) at mega. Of course their could also be a 100% access method upon which anyone can access a file.

This is no different then places that encrypt their .zip's and post the password near the link. It's done to throw off the MPIA's spider bots.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
WAIT. SCRAP EVERYTHING I SAID.

The site is a marvel to behold. HTML5 at it's finest. Also, having no problems using Opera for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.