Windows Phones Users Still Experiencing Trouble with YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
So if you avoid Windows phones you don't have these issues. Seems like an easy fix. ...there'salot of Android devices to choose from.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
That isn't the point. People are buying WP8 devices for their own reasons and this behaviour can only be seen as anticompetitive as iOS has full access. Maybe they really are scared of MS's growing ecosystem and it's future development.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
The b[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]Why are the Google folks such d*icks as of recent?[/citation]
The buzz has gone from Chrome, they can't get a full OS to compete with Windows finally developed and they are trying to hold on to whatever they can now. Being scared of losing something is the quickest way to lose...

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]Why are the Google folks such d*icks as of recent?[/citation]
Microsoft can get the standards and make app/browser/phone work themselves. Google is under no obligation to provide it.

For example, how many times people at Tom's have desired for Steam to offer games in Linux? Is Steam to blame for the management decision when not providing it till late?

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]Why are the Google folks such d*icks as of recent?[/citation]

What kind of post is that?

I am going to make my own Phone OS tomorrow. I am going to use my own standards and protocols. If Google doesn't configure YouTube, Gmail, Google Maps to work off the bat on my system by noon tomorrow, I am going to throw all my toys out of my pram and call them d*icks.

... or I can grow up a bit.

contentsmayvary

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Conspiracy theorists, please read the article again. In particular:

>>The problem only crops up for some Windows phones users. Those that have set Internet Explorer to 'Desktop' mode receive the prompting, while those on 'Mobile' mode don't.

If Google wanted to scupper YouTube on Windows phones, that would be the other way around, yes?

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If you block all users except the ones that use Android, you might be legal. If you allow all users except Windows Phone users; probably not! Especially if you changed something specifically to deny them access.

contentsmayvary

Honorable
May 28, 2012
(Can't edit my message above, so...)

On the other hand, according to the linked article:

"The behavior is specific: head to m.youtube.com and click any video. In the past, such an action would launch Internet Explorer’s HTML5 video player, allowing Windows Phone users to watch just about everything that was mobile (assuming it wasn’t a Flash-only video). Now on Windows Phone 8 devices we get prompted to install an app."

Which seems the opposite what the article here says?

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This whole article because of some prompt that only appears if some idiot has changed the mobile browser to desktop mode?

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Everyone so sick to waste precious bandwidth to watch multiple times online videos loading them each single time, instead of downloading once and playing infinite times for free from local drives, urges to be nagged&abused in the worst way from monopolist of the network, monopolist of searches, monopolist of contents, monopolist of operating systems, monopolist of devices,...

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I used to be able to use the youtube website on the phone, but now I can't on the Lumia 920 (if that answers any questions).

fw1374

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
"Either you die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

That is what happened to Google. Another Apple syndrome :\

G

No problem with google maps or youtube on Windows 8 phone lumia 920...is this a non-issue?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]scottawells[/nom]No problem with google maps or youtube on Windows 8 phone lumia 920...is this a non-issue?[/citation]
-1 for not contributing to the conspiracy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.