Kim Dotcom Teaches How to Stop Piracy in 5 Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Just remember, if you don't think the price is fair, you don't have to purchase it. If enough people agree with you, they will be forced to lower it. Eventually the price of most software drops in price in time. Just buy it when the price is fair to you. There is no requirement to buy it at release.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
The thing that kills me is the general complaint that games cost to much, yet they've cost roughly $50 for new releases for the past 25 years, while the value of that $50 is less than half what it was back then.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Just remember, if you don't think the price is fair, you don't have to purchase it. If enough people agree with you, they will be forced to lower it. Eventually the price of most software drops in price in time. Just buy it when the price is fair to you. There is no requirement to buy it at release.[/citation]
brilliant comment! Exactly what the music industry has been driveling out for over a decade!

Well done Sir!

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]The thing that kills me is the general complaint that games cost to much, yet they've cost roughly $50 for new releases for the past 25 years, while the value of that $50 is less than half what it was back then.[/citation]
what are you smoking?

try 20 bucks

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]what are you smoking?try 20 bucks[/citation]

Not really. What are you smoking? I remember my parents bought me Zelda 2 for the NES when it first came out and it was $65.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]Not really. What are you smoking? I remember my parents bought me Zelda 2 for the NES when it first came out and it was $65.[/citation]

I have to chime in there since I remember NES games very differently. I think to remember them being $29.99 for new games.

Btw as well, new games are generally $60 on consoles now. Shoot, even PC games are now trying to charge $60 for a new game, I scoff at that as I will not pay $60 for it.

As well, sure inflation has gone up but so has the income disparity of low income to high income. I think money is worth much less taking into account more than just inflation, but the buying power of a dollar.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
If you looked at new releases around 1990, you were spending $50, unless it was old or a low budget gaming company. Today the same holds true. There are $20 games too, from indie developers, but new releases are still $50. They also spend many millions in development of the new games today.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]brilliant comment! Exactly what the music industry has been driveling out for over a decade!Well done Sir![/citation]
The last laugh is on us. No longer do we get talented music groups, we only get pop sensations, because only the extremely popular groups make money.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Where you been? under a rock?

No matter what platform it's been on, brand new release on any major game been $50+. Smash bro's brawl for Wii $50, halo 4 for xbox 360 $60, and the list goes on with them and the PC and PS3......

Maybe "bucks" after a few years of being out but not at release.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Gah... hate that tom's guide cant edit but tom's hardware comments can be edited.

Hopefully the forum update at the end of the month will fix this issue.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]Piracy and greed may seem opposites but in fact they're both immoral.[/citation]
Considering that most games developed lose money, and those who do make games do not make good money, I do not know where you come to the idea that game developers are greedy for asking a price that has not changed in 25 years.

People seem to think all businesses are greedy because of a few they have heard about.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Just remember, if you don't think the price is fair, you don't have to purchase it. If enough people agree with you, they will be forced to lower it. Eventually the price of most software drops in price in time. Just buy it when the price is fair to you. There is no requirement to buy it at release.[/citation]I disagree, companies like Activision/EA would rather sell 1 copies per week on their decade old title than selling 1000copies @ 90% discount in 1 week.

G

Ummm 25 years ago was 1988. Games back then were in the $30 range, at release.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I still remember getting ESPN NFL 2K5 for $20 brand new at release, which wasn't an indie, and in fact a NFL licensed game, which I doubt was cheap. I believe that game was so threatening to EA and their Madden series that they signed a long term exclusive deal with the NFL, which effectively ended the 2K Football series. I believe that game also had a really strong cult following for years. I still pop in that game and have more fun on it than Madden 11 on my PS3.

Just because games have traditionally been priced at $50 doesn't mean that's where prices should be. Hell, prices have gone up if you factor in DLC, as it's often an excuse to release half-assed games and let paying customers be the beta (or alpha) testers resulting in less bang for the buck.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
same day world wide... if you dont want that you get pirated by people who do.
and fair price...

photoshop is the best example because they are the top because of piracy.
photoshop, the cheapest you can get it is 230$
now yes, for professional use, 700$ is somewhat reasonable, but i would be willing to bet there are more pirate than legitimate copies.

if there was a way to have a home and a business license for that, you may kill off a large amount of the pirate market for it. especially if the home was at 50$ or less.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]The thing that kills me is the general complaint that games cost to much, yet they've cost roughly $50 for new releases for the past 25 years, while the value of that $50 is less than half what it was back then.[/citation]

oh yay, another one of these.

back than games cost FAR less than 50$ because you have to take into account cartrage cost, which ill estimate at a minimum of 30$ for super nintendo, than factor in that the wallmarts take a 7-12$ for themselves, and about 3-7$ a game in shipping costs.

now, it costs what, 3$-6$ to press a dvd and box

they make more profit off games now than they EVER have in the past.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]oh yay, another one of these. back than games cost FAR less than 50$ because you have to take into account cartrage cost, which ill estimate at a minimum of 30$ for super nintendo, than factor in that the wallmarts take a 7-12$ for themselves, and about 3-7$ a game in shipping costs. now, it costs what, 3$-6$ to press a dvd and boxthey make more profit off games now than they EVER have in the past.[/citation]
I'm talking about PC games which case on floppies. I doubt they cost much different than a DVD today.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]I still remember getting ESPN NFL 2K5 for $20 brand new at release, which wasn't an indie, and in fact a NFL licensed game, which I doubt was cheap. I believe that game was so threatening to EA and their Madden series that they signed a long term exclusive deal with the NFL, which effectively ended the 2K Football series. I believe that game also had a really strong cult following for years. I still pop in that game and have more fun on it than Madden 11 on my PS3.Just because games have traditionally been priced at $50 doesn't mean that's where prices should be. Hell, prices have gone up if you factor in DLC, as it's often an excuse to release half-assed games and let paying customers be the beta (or alpha) testers resulting in less bang for the buck.[/citation]
Not all games may have cost $50, and I am talking about PC games, not console games. However, many of the top notch games sold at release in 1990, came in the $40-$50 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.