Google Chrome to Receive Search Refinements

Status
Not open for further replies.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Chrome is awesome...The search is superb...but, make sure you use some of the "Do not track extensions to block Google tracing your every move...I really like the direction firefox and IE10 are headed but they still lag behind chrome and safari in terms of total performance/experience. Interesting to note that safari lags behind chrome a bit...you would think that safari would pack the same power since chrome is built using safari's web-kit rendering engine... Nonetheless safari is rock solid as well.

On another note...thanks Zak for posting something useful to discuss...

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I'm not having the same experience as john. I find that chrome, under Win8, can't deliver video frame rates smoothly on my desktop or lappy. Firefox is better, but still not 100%. So, I'm using IE10 (and it's really not bad)

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]I'm not having the same experience as john. I find that chrome, under Win8, can't deliver video frame rates smoothly on my desktop or lappy. Firefox is better, but still not 100%. So, I'm using IE10 (and it's really not bad)[/citation]
You must have one hell of a crappy desktop/"lappy"..

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
There's this nifty Chromium-based browser called Comodo Dragon. It's almost identical in capabilities to Chrome, minus the Google-tracking-your-every-move "features" in Chrome.

Comodo Dragon also allows you to choose when to install browser updates, a choice that Chrome lacks.

Chrome has another issue - it sometimes suddenly downloads high levels of bandwidth in the background, without warning, and without letting you know what it's up to.

Chrome is also very memory hungry, and the command line launch --single-process hasn't worked in a long time. Why isn't Google concentrating on fixing this issue?

Firefox and Opera don't have these memory hog issues.

G

^^
Google isn't concerned about fixing the issue because they're a group of semi-academics and overly ambitious managers. The result is that they can't close a project even when dozens are in alpha/beta, and they will definitely rather muck around on some novelty thing than produce an actual "boring" deliverable (like bughunting their browser).

See also: Android. A tech nerd's dream, but only attractive to budget-minded consumers. They could make it great, but that includes doing "boring" work, like bringing their stock email client up to speed, or enforcing standards in their store and with their network partners. Definitely not what their top-of-the-class CS-grad staff want to do.

A few marketing guys made Google successful by insisting that their interface be as clean and ad-free as possible, which was novel back in 2004, but since then they've been slowly creeping up to Yahoo-levels of spam and MS-levels of rude snooping. I expect in another 10 years Google will be just another "tech" company getting money from a de fact monopoly, and then giving it to their own bloated, unproductive workforce.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]You must have one hell of a crappy desktop/"lappy"..[/citation]
Nah dude. It runs fine under 7 or IE10. The lappy is ASUS Core 2 Duo @ 2.0(2.4oc), 4GB DDR3, 260M. Desktop is Athlon II X3 @3.7, 4GB DDR3, 5770.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]I'm not having the same experience as john. I find that chrome, under Win8, can't deliver video frame rates smoothly on my desktop or lappy. Firefox is better, but still not 100%. So, I'm using IE10 (and it's really not bad)[/citation]
I'm having the opposite issue. Under both Windows 7 and 8, all of my Firefox windows will lag when one of them loads a page with lots of markup. It's really annoying when my youtube video freezes (the entire UI actually) because I'm loading a complicated page from my local server or scrolling down a large page with heavy formatting. Chrome doesn't have this issue at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.