Republic Wireless $19/month Plan Finally Out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1b2c3

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
So, if your internet connection is not top-of-the-line, and you have wireless turned on, then your phone call will sound like cr@p.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Now we get to see just how abusively overpriced Verizon and AT&T are. $19 a month is a great price compared to the competition. That's just a little more than what I pay for my dumbphone each month.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Yeah, I'm guessing that supposed to be 512 MB, not 512 GB. This sounds like a potentially amazing bargain. Maybe now that i'ts out of Beta, more phone makers will cater to this service so there are some more options for phones. The only problem now is upping residential internet speeds and getting their prices down.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"smartphones should be communicating over Wi-Fi natively, and only using cellular spectrum if needed, not all the time."

Can't argue with that. I hope, however, they have an override function in case of a marginal WIFI signal so you can instantly switch to cellular mode.
This could free up some bandwidth especially in the congested downtown areas of our cities.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
as a sprint user.. i just shake my hed more discount retailers on the already slow network, fo rthe price here it is worth it, but sprint needs to pick up thier game and get on the 4g game like last year, but seem uninterested in expanding coverage and instead constantly talk about thier "upgrades" to current towers in my town /shakes head.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Cant imagine Republic Wireless will make much money on the service since they are piggy backing on big cellular providers so most likely their earnings will be from cell phone sales. Thus cell phone is barely mid-ranged but easily marked up.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]Now we get to see just how abusively overpriced Verizon and AT&T are. $19 a month is a great price compared to the competition. That's just a little more than what I pay for my dumbphone each month.[/citation]

They also use the competition's network....

amlman

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
here in Israel, we have unlimited plans (3000 min + sms, 2-3GB @ 2mbps) for ~20-25$ (79-99NIS).
no wifi nonsense, bring your own phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS