20 Tips and Tricks for Android "Froyo" Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Hey Tom's, Do you have any plans on implementing a Captcha for comments or something? Things are getting bad when the first 5 comments are all spam (all in a 24 hour period).

G

If you are using T-Mobile, you can go with a SIM card for $0.10/min for talk and purchase a day's worth of data whenever you are away from WiFi for $1.49. I find this approach very inexpensive for my needs. I think ATT has something similar.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]JoeinMD[/nom]If you are using T-Mobile, you can go with a SIM card for $0.10/min for talk and purchase a day's worth of data whenever you are away from WiFi for $1.49. I find this approach very inexpensive for my needs. I think ATT has something similar.[/citation]

That's a good money saving tip. Are the rates available on T-Mobile's website, or do you have to call up or talk to them in person for it?

lungjian

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006
While turning off unused radios (3/4G, GPS, WiFi), every toggle app that I've tried has caused problems with the actual thing they're supposed to control - toggle the radios on and off. With several of those apps, removing them actually killed the ability to turn on those same radios! Luckily, I'm able to re-flash my ROM so I was able to recover in every case, but some people and some phones/tablets won't be so lucky.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]quantumrand[/nom]Hey Tom's, Do you have any plans on implementing a Captcha for comments or something? Things are getting bad when the first 5 comments are all spam (all in a 24 hour period).[/citation]

Spam comments are indeed problematic, and we are working on it.
-Devin

G

I use Printershare from Market/Googleplay (and no, this is not spam, that app really works on my Transformer Pad). To print from Gmail, start Printershare, select Gmail, then print. It's that easy. I tried Google Cloud and found, for starters, that it supported only a limited number of printers.

I am running Printershare Premium, the paid version, so am not sure if there what the limitations are between that and the paid version.

We need to print on wifi printers directly from Android. Printershare is a stopgap measure until that's possible. My Transformer Pad has replaced my laptop because it does so much more so much faster than the Windows 7 beastie I had, but there are gaps with printing being one of the biggest. Something else that would be nice: stores which rent equipment; for instance, I need a CD burner for just a couple of days to hook up to my TPad, so it seems like a waste to buy one. In short, tablets might just change the way we do computing in the next 24 months as much as the first laptops did in the late 1980's.

Status
Not open for further replies.