How To: Deal With Windows Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodeffect

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Not all latest drivers are good, some might be unstable than the previous one. Anyway, good article about windows drivers.

G

"dev" doesn't always work. On mine system it launches Adobe Device Manager.

G

For atheros drivers check the unofficial driver site at http://www.atheros.cz/
There are many atheros drivers whih are more current.

smokinjoe

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
As a Dell shop at work we just have to check with Dell for drivers. In some cases we can get drivers from a newer version of the same product to work. At home I have moved laptop and desktop to Mac OS X and the server is a NAS or Linux solution.

With a Mac the worst thing you can do is buy dodgy hardware and load the vendors driver, now you have similar problems as a Windows machine with dodgy drivers. :-(

hangfirew8

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Dell often has good driver support for their systems, sometimes they are the only source of an updated driver for a certain component. However if they never sold a system with a newer O/S (such as Vista or 7), it is very unlikely they'll list any drivers for that O/S. And of course for video drivers, they typically list one ancient one. So even with Dell you sometimes still have to hunt.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Dell isn't always so great with updates to their drivers. I tried installing a driver for the wireless network card on my Latitude D600 (yes, it's ancient). They released about a million different configurations of the latitude, and probably a dozen different wireless cards were included. Luckily for me, I worked around the issue by discovering the wireless didn't work because someone had pulled the card, but man, was it ever a pain trying to figure out what I needed to download if I did have a wireless card.

dioxholster

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Why do people like to keep updating their driver? unless its a graphic card with new games every year then no need to keep messing stuff up. If it aint broken dont fix it.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
I ran the intel driver update utility, and IE8 popped up a message asking if I wanted to allow system requirements lab from "Husdawg llc" to install. I figured it was the Intel utility, but since a google search yielded almost nothing on Husdawg, I just said screw it. Screw Intel anyway. A company like intel should not be using shady names like that.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]hoping that ATI reads this.[/citation]

Dont you mean that your hoping Nvidia reads this? it takes me about 10 seconds to update me vid card. check it out its on steam.

chaos133

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I don't think updating drivers at every new release is really necessary unless if your getting problems with the device, because theres a good chance they could ah heck things up.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dioxholster[/nom]Why do people like to keep updating their driver? unless its a graphic card with new games every year then no need to keep messing stuff up. If it aint broken dont fix it.[/citation]
If newer technologies ask more don't fix it after it broke.
Seriously application developers first want to see a user base before supporting something.

Status
Not open for further replies.