NASA Pitches Space Communications Game for Web, iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
clever actually... you never know which gamer will come up with an ingenious idea on how to improve the system and gaming has a history of being useful for science...

I recall a story about a game where teams were competing to optimally fold a protein structure and the gamers solved the structure waaaaayyyyyy before any of the scientists could. So if this is done correctly and made fun enough it may be a useful tool.

That being said... shame on both the Democrats AND the Republicans for eviscerating NASA.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]So this is what NASA is doing with our billions of dollars now that they arent going into space? Game development?[/citation]
This is a side job, Our supreme leader Obama decreed last year or so before he prematurely canned the space shuttle that NASA's new mission is Muslim outreach. Don't believe me, look it up.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]This is a side job, Our supreme leader Obama decreed last year or so before he prematurely canned the space shuttle that NASA's new mission is Muslim outreach. Don't believe me, look it up.[/citation]

Obama did not halt the shuttle program that was he retired the program. Obama opted to allow the free market system to develop the next generation of space flight vehicles.

And if any president was sympathetic to Muslims it was Bush who allowed bin Laden's brother who owned a home in the same state that the 9/11 terrorists lived, trained, and flew out of; to leave less than a week after 9/11 without so much as a "Have you seen your brother lately?". I've up for you. This is a tech site and I'm sorry to bring political dribble into it, but I can't stand trolls like you that spread lies. You don't like Obama that's fine, no one here cares who you vote for or think we should vote for, but don't spread lies like this insulting the intelligence of everyone on this site.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]millerm84[/nom]Obama did not halt the shuttle program that was he retired the program. Obama opted to allow the free market system to develop the next generation of space flight vehicles. And if any president was sympathetic to Muslims it was Bush who allowed bin Laden's brother who owned a home in the same state that the 9/11 terrorists lived, trained, and flew out of; to leave less than a week after 9/11 without so much as a "Have you seen your brother lately?". I've up for you. This is a tech site and I'm sorry to bring political dribble into it, but I can't stand trolls like you that spread lies. You don't like Obama that's fine, no one here cares who you vote for or think we should vote for, but don't spread lies like this insulting the intelligence of everyone on this site.[/citation]

Not sure why my links didn't work but here they are:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=13404

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/bin-ladens-brother-owned-home-in-central-fla/nFBmT/

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]millerm84[/nom]Obama did not halt the shuttle program that was he retired the program. Obama opted to allow the free market system to develop the next generation of space flight vehicles.[/citation]
Obama is not 'allowing' spaceX and Virgin Galactic to do their part, they were doing fine before, and they are doing fine now. Obama merely stripped NASA because it did not fit with his platform, and he is too short sighted to see that it is one of the few gov't programs that actually does a ton of good for promoting innovation, and inspiring future generations towards loftier goals than having better healthcare so that we can all live longer. I am all for living longer, but I want to live longer in a world that has a brighter outlook on life, not one that is constantly looking at flat or negative growth as I grow old (I know, I know... not all Obama's fault, it has much more to do with the congress and house and emerging nations that are better equipped for growth, it is just easier to pin problems on an icon than a mass of morons).

But still, I cannot help but think that the space program was gimped for a single reason: No government today wants to get involved with the idea of colonization because the people interested in it would leave, and they would simply never come back. And there would go a ton of smart people, and a ton of resources, who would create a competing and compelling foreign market that no earth based gov't would even begin to be able to control or compete with. That is any gov't worst nightmare; kinda like the brittish and the Americas... it just does not end well for the sponsoring country.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Well these comments went political rather quickly.

At any rate, NASA's budget is still higher than any other space program in the world. Plus NASA has been doing manned earth orbit for quite some time now, so there is no reason for them to continue to do it. They can go back to the moon but there is really no point in doing that. So really all that is left is Mars, but the money and public interest just isn't there to do that at the moment.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]So this is what NASA is doing with our billions of dollars now that they arent going into space? Game development?[/citation]

Its called advertising and NASA wants to reach out to the younger generation in order to keep interest in the future. I think it is a great idea with more interaction to our youth and even the NASA channel is getting a little more exciting. The perception of NASA is that it is an old institution full of old guys with little public interest and would be great if NASA can once again capture the hearts of Americans like they did back in the 60's. NASA knows that if the US citizens are excited about NASA then it will get funding.

Status
Not open for further replies.