Apple Had Over One Year Left on Google Maps Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

busuan

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
There are only three independent map data providers, TomTom, Nokia and Google. The latter two make competing products of iPhone/iOS. So Apple's choice was obvious as no choice. By all means, it's good to have Apple to be a new independent factor.
And, since when people curse a phone because it's not a good GPS/Nav device?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]busuan[/nom]There are only three independent map data providers, TomTom, Nokia and Google. The latter two make competing products of iPhone/iOS. So Apple's choice was obvious as no choice. By all means, it's good to have Apple to be a new independent factor.And, since when people curse a phone because it's not a good GPS/Nav device?[/citation]
To answer your question, it's been going on since the advent of smartphones that fail to do what they claim to do. you see, the way you put it, this is JUST a phone, hence expectations are too high. But it's not; it's touted as THE smartphone to have by it's manufacturer and it's fan base, something that just works.
Well, it doesn't work. That's why people get pissed.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Well it's kind of ironic that Apple would dump Google Maps with one year left in the contract, but then Apple to have it's Maps app fail so miserably.
If Apple buried it's pride, it could have kept Google Maps for the remaining year thus to provide Apple the necessary time to polish off the app instead of submitting a half baked app!

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]busuan[/nom]And, since when people curse a phone because it's not a good GPS/Nav device?[/citation]

Since companies started marketing smart phones as GPS/navigation devices? These companies are making GPS functions a main selling point of these devices, and so it makes perfect sense that people would complain when those features don't work as advertised.

hexiv

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Maybe I don't understand what turn-by-turn navigation is, but doesn't Google Maps/Navigator have that? I use it all the time...and have been using it since my Galaxy S a few years ago...I have an SIII now.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]busuan[/nom]There are only three independent map data providers, TomTom, Nokia and Google. The latter two make competing products of iPhone/iOS. So Apple's choice was obvious as no choice. By all means, it's good to have Apple to be a new independent factor.And, since when people curse a phone because it's not a good GPS/Nav device?[/citation]
I use my phone as my GPS as do tons of other people. If your phone suddenly has horrible GPS, then you lose a huge functionality.

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]hexiv[/nom]Maybe I don't understand what turn-by-turn navigation is, but doesn't Google Maps/Navigator have that? I use it all the time...and have been using it since my Galaxy S a few years ago...I have an SIII now.[/citation]
It does on Android, but didn't on iOS. Apparently one of the big sticking points for Apple was that Google was unwilling to add turn-by-turn nav. to the iOS app.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I guess the people working at Apple have let their success go to their heads and actually believed that they could beat Google at their own game with little work. Next they are going to add their own search engine and block Google.com.

hero1

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]To answer your question, it's been going on since the advent of smartphones that fail to do what they claim to do. you see, the way you put it, this is JUST a phone, hence expectations are too high. But it's not; it's touted as THE smartphone to have by it's manufacturer and it's fan base, something that just works. Well, it doesn't work. That's why people get pissed.[/citation]

Nice one. People who try and defend this crap should just stay away.

hero1

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Again, they could have stayed with google and provided google with the API so that they could make turn by turn navigation possible. But no, they had to refuse google the API and then cancel the contract when they had a year left and give us crap map app. Talk about shooting oneself on the foot.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I need someone to clear this up... Did the iphone not give turn by turn direction on the phone (i know it didn't do voice)? Navigator does do turn by turn, but maps does not.. they are different apps.

It is still sad that apple would ditch a working product for a alpha/beta product. If they wanted voice turn by turn they should have contracted navigator as well and google maps.

hero1

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]the1kingbob[/nom]I need someone to clear this up... Did the iphone not give turn by turn direction on the phone (i know it didn't do voice)? Navigator does do turn by turn, but maps does not.. they are different apps. It is still sad that apple would ditch a working product for a alpha/beta product. If they wanted voice turn by turn they should have contracted navigator as well and google maps.[/citation]

It never did. You had to get an app that did that such as Navigon or TomTom. You could start and then you have to keep on pressing the arrows on the screen. I found it to be so annoying. My wife has a Windows Phone and it does turn by turn navigation with voice. Now if you have iPhone 4 you are stuck with the old ways with no turn by turn unless you keep on sliding the info on the screen. However, iPhone 4s and 5 have turn by turn but I can imagine some people ending up in lakes due to the state of affairs. Time they fix it or I'm ditching my iPhone 4 for Windows Phone, Android or next BB10 device. It's a shame really.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
They should have bought Garmen or at least gotten a license from them.

While Google maps is pretty decent, it also has a lot of problems.

Driving in the USA I have been sent down supposed "short cuts" which were not short ......

And internationally I have been sent down roads which dead ended about 100 miles from anything. I've also been sent down a highway which turned into a goat path.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I guess the people working at Apple have let their success go to their heads and actually believed that they could beat Google at their own game with little work. Next they are going to add their own search engine and block Google.com.[/citation]
This is probably true, but regardless of whether their maps of other proprietary apps work, Apple customers will buy their products because they are convinced they are the best.

Apple may not have the best products, but because their customers think they do, anything else is a moot point. They are already locked in and will buy the newest edition when it comes out because they are absolutely compelled to. It offers status and a sense of being part of an elite group. They need these devices.

Apple has the best marketing team on Earth. No one can touch it.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Oh yeah? And which of those 3 are used by Bing? Is it Nokia or TomTom?Surprise: NEITHER of the mentioned companies is producing map data.They all buy it from other suppliers.Here is more on it: http://www.maproomblog.com/2005/10 [...] viders.php[/citation]
You should probably cite something newer than 2005. Google uses its own map data now.
http://spatiallyadjusted.com/2009/10/07/google-maps-now-uses-their-own-map-data/
If you dont want to read it, at the bottom of any google map you see "Map data copyright 2012 Google.

Your source from 2005 was back when google maps was JUST beginning.

G

I used the new turn-by -turn map app yesterday, when I needed to go somewhere that was newer than my auto's GPS knew. I hate to tell all the obvious Apple-haters on here, ... It was flawless, and, yes, I love it more than the previous google-provided maps app.

I only wish noe that my Appy Geek app did not use this ill-informed and biased blog as a journalistic source.

Status
Not open for further replies.