The White iPhone 4 Experiment (That Wasn't)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Back to the white iphone conversion...

First it seems that most people put covers of some type on their phones anyway, so not much of the black part of the phone even shows anyway.

Second, there are full size stickers available for laptops in many different colors and designs. It seems that someone could just put on a white stickie on the small amount of the phone that you can see past the cover.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]maloney[/nom]At first I thought this was just someone making fun of this article's New York street-style knockoff sale. How Ironic that it's just another example. I'll bet all of his items are shipping straight from China too.[/citation]
You've over-estimated the spam-bots! ;)

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I gotta say this seems a bit weak from a tech site as big as Tom's.
I remember experiments a few years ago where mobos and CPUs were stressed with no cooler to see what happened, frying many components but providing us valuable knowledge and respect for the site.
You can surely afford the unlikely loss of 1 iPhone.

shovenose

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
you put enough ads on this site to buy 1000 iphone 4s but you are unwilling to sacrifice one. bestofmedia epic fail!

tgandy

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Doorspawn, there's more to it than sacrificing a phone. With the legitimate phone coming and the disappearance of the person selling it, us doing the experiment would basically be a tacit endorsement of such modification. At this point, that didn't seem judicious.

mickyaldridge

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I have the complete white conversion kit too, and looking at your photos, my kit is also from the same source, although I purchased my full kit from iphonefixed.co.uk in Wales.

The white headphone jack, and white dock connector, along with white front and back glass have been sat here for a few weeks now as I have read reports of some of these parts being ill fitting, so I have put off the conversion until i try the kit on a donor frame. I also have a water damaged iPhone 4 coming end of the month which I will try and fix, and will fit this kit to that most likely.

@Tom, you could send me your kit if you like, and I could document the conversion?

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]gaborbarla[/nom]Can you get a white conversion for the display too? *excited shreek*[/citation]
Site took out my "Sarcasm" tags.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
LOL @Tom's buying and ordering the kit but forgetting to download the pdf documentation in advance on how to install the kit before actually receiving the product. Classic case of RTFM.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]doorspawn[/nom]I gotta say this seems a bit weak from a tech site as big as Tom's.I remember experiments a few years ago where mobos and CPUs were stressed with no cooler to see what happened, frying many components but providing us valuable knowledge and respect for the site.You can surely afford the unlikely loss of 1 iPhone.[/citation]
The videos of running AMD and Intel processors without the heatsinks was pretty cool. The Intel chip throttled, and functioned as soon as the heatsink was back on, and the AMD chip started to smoke.
To back away form a simple challenge though?
:(

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]The videos of running AMD and Intel processors without the heatsinks was pretty cool. The Intel chip throttled, and functioned as soon as the heatsink was back on, and the AMD chip started to smoke.To back away form a simple challenge though?[/citation]From what I remember, the Athlon tested without a heatsink exploded. :) Making a hole on the motherboard/table. I just don't remember if it was Tom's..

G

Why dont you go and buy some handbags or glasses from a rip-off chinese factory instead, seeming how much you all love these spam adverts in the comments section!

BPT747

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Either do the conversion and write the article or don't write the article at all, Toms is getting soft if they are not willing to destroy an i-phone to test a meaningless modificaiton. You were the type of site that would put an i-phone4 under water just to see if it would work in water and if it could be brought back to life if it didn't. Now it is just add ridden so I have to use my gaming computer to even view because my laptop cannot load the adds for a sight that features simple text pictures and the occational video. (sorry but I had to vent)

bobwya

Distinguished
May 21, 2005
I'm having trouble telling the SPAM bots from the articles on THG these days... Oh no - I do see - the SPAM has more useful information...

leomorel

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
I did The conversion of my black to white iPhone, and everything came out just right!, it took 2 hours to disassemble and assemble it but it came out perfect!, and I am extremely happy with my new white iPhone!, a month after the conversion my iPhone felt from my lap and my front glass cracked from one side to the other, and I just ordered another front part and I will replace it, and believe me it's not easy but with patient anyone could achieve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.