Accessing DOS 6.22

camieabz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
I believe there is "old dos" on the Win95 / Win98 disk.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

MS-DOS has a prompt like this: C:\WINDOWS> and if you enter the word EXIT Windows desktop will pop up to the screen. It is still within the Windows program while the real DOS has a prompt like this: C:\> and even if you enter the word EXIT nothing will happen because it is outside the WINDOWS program. This is where the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT can be found and most diagnostic tools works through here.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Ah, you are labouring under a misconception my friend, I shall endeavor to disabuse you (or somesuch nonsense).

Windows 9x runs on top of MS-DOS (V7), the older standalone versions, such as 6.22 as you mention, are still MS-DOS.

The MS merely stands for MicroSoft.

You can run raw MS-DOS (V7) from a Windows 9x machine by hitting F8 after the POST before Windows loads, then selecting 'Command Prompt Only'. You will get the C: prompt and nothing more, typing exit will not boot Windows.

If, for some reason, you need to run an older version, I think you would have to install it seperately on another partition and use a boot commander utility to select either your old MS-DOS or Windows.

Windows 9x CD's do contain some old MS-DOS software (qbasic, xcopy, etc).

G

Thanks a lot for clearing the sky out. I might not get the real concept of DOS when I read it from the book: Upgrading & Fixing PCs for Dummies on page 261. I've also read some troubleshooting books that refers to real DOS and that's where the confucion began.Anyway I've got my printer fixed & I'm still figuring it out how I did it.I'm going to post it to the printer section next time. Thanks Again!