Analyst Believes Apple Launching iPad Mini to Fight Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I dunno - a 7-inch tablet with the same 1024x768 resolution as the original iPad might be a smart move. All the apps developed for the original iPad would still work, and it would be a real competitor to Google's little one. Most likely it will have at least 3 capacities though, 8/16/32, in typical Apple fashion.

I am seriously thinking about getting a Nexus 7 for my 2-year-old, but a iPad Mini would be a much more compelling option.

Now if Apple could just figure out how to have both HD and non-HD versions of apps in the App Store, so that the HD versions don't completely fill up our non-HD devices, that would be great...

santeana

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
Great! So now they'll have a 7" iPad, claim they invented the 7" tablet form factor, and sue everyone else that has a 7" tablet and the lawyers will win again! Way to innovate, as usual, Apple!

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Why is speculation about possible future Apple devices always automatically "news". The source isn't connected to Apple or any of their suppliers and either is his information as far as I'm concerned. Also, wouldn't a 7.85 inch tablet more accurately be called an 8-inch? Anyway, until it's announced or exists, who cares. If it doesn't have an SD slot then it's no more appealing to me than the N7. And yet even the speculation prices it at $100 over it's closest competition. I'm sure the 8Gb capacity listed would only be one of several size options too.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This has been said over and over again, but I'll reiterate what I think: Apple is not intending to compete with the number of tablets sold. Or on price. Not at all.

Apple has the loyalist edge, an edge that is quite something. They can charge $400 for a tablet and people will pay. For instance, Apple is a somewhat distant second in terms of total phones sold - but they rake in 70% of the world's smartphone profits. To them, it isn't about numbers of units sold - its about numbers of profits made.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
What are people really doing with these tablets? I find tablets to be the least useful computing device invented in the last 10 years, yet many think these can somehow replace desktops or notebooks?

They're terrible for typing on, and you can't use them in bed without giving yourself neck cramps because it's too heavy and bulky to hold over your head. If it comes with a keyboard, you have to set it up using a stand on a desk, because you can't hold up the tablet and type on the keyboard at the same time. So then you're using an inferior version of a notebook or desktop.

Sooner or later the newness is going to wear off, and people are going to wake up and realize that these devices are inferior at most everything they do. They're probably the best devices for watching movies on plane trips.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I predict that a tech company will release something in the future, and will sell some units. Now that I am officially an analyst, where's my cheque?

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
it's better to launch a new product than stop a competitor from selling their products through court.
although i'm still not going to buy Apple's iStuff...

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I think Samsung should sue Apple for selling a 7"-like tablet which is copy of 7" tablets they have been selling for years.

PS: Why didn't Apple sue HP? The Touchpad had the same shape (4:3 screen), size, weight and had a HOME button like the iPad. Hmmm.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Well, i hope google sues them to hell if they do

[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]If it doesn't have an SD slot then it's no more appealing to me than the N7[/citation]
Mass Effect? :O

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
No, Apple is going to "fight" the Nexus 7 by getting it banned in the US, like all the other Samsung products Apple knows are superior to anything they offer at the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.