Online Retailer Charging Tax for Using IE7

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmp_goose

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
You've never wished for a "$20 per item service charge" for all the clowns whom come through the express lane with a packed cart?

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
YES all sites should start doing this.
As a web developer trying to get something to work in IE7 is equivalent to hell.

b1bekgyawali

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Damn them IE7 was legend when it first came out :)
but Do understand the difficulty working with it as creating websites is heck of a lot easier now..

i used to create website based 100% on "HTML" looks like i am getting too OLD

G

at Shin-san sounds like you work at one broke buisness to still be using dinosaurs at work.

No wounder why tech support calls take so long. They use stoneage Garbage of computers.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
It's always been a struggle for devs to manage and innovate because of people who refuse to upgrade. I suppose this is the better option for users as opposed to completely not allowing access to their site from anyone using a browser they don't like.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I sympathize with web developers and I'm all for giving Microsoft the boot anywhere when possible for breaking web standards everywhere they go due to there computing monopoly, but it does seem a little ridiculous to tax the user.

I guess it all depends on whether they warn you before hand and give you an option or whether you only notice after the fact on the bill. I'm sure most people aren't going to pay any attention to such a notice unless it's shown strictly prior to the checkout screen before entering your info. IE started out good, but after Netscape they've just become the ultimate burden on the Internet for the past 10 years.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Ha! The PCs at my school all still have IE7 even though I've tried to update some but those damn head techs are so lazy they hardly even install updates let alone update IE or even Firefox which is still at 3.6! I've found that school IT departments are the worst and laziest in my experiance...

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]whooleo[/nom]Ha! The PCs at my school all still have IE7 even though I've tried to update some but those damn head techs are so lazy they hardly even install updates let alone update IE or even Firefox which is still at 3.6! I've found that school IT departments are the worst and laziest in my experiance...[/citation]
State jobs dude, that's how they roll.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
wouldnt it just be easier to stop supporting the browser by telling customers they need to update to view the page... bang in 1 fell swoop he nolonger has to keep updating... i mean its not as if his customers are gonna pay up anyway. im pretty sure i wouldnt. but if i see a friedly message saying unsupported content please use another browser i would get another 1. after all its how i swaped to opera. i still use ie9 for some websites but on the whole opera does the job for me...

danjimaru

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I design all my webpages in Explorer 4 / Netscape Navigator 4 compliant HTML, CSS and DHTML. If it has to be something fancy then I use PERL and PHP... I used ASP before because it does a tiny few things better than PHP but it has become less significant in recent PHP versions.

Most of my pages display and behave 90% correct on AmigaOS infamous V - Browser

Now online retail shops have the bad habit of always adopting every pseudo code and trying very hard to track user's browsing and interest using every trick in the book instead of trying to scan the user client and tailor your hacks dynamically spending a good fortune trying to maintain different codes, just realize you lost!! Desktops lost their market monopoly and mobile devices, like for instance those powered by android, have over 10 different browsers waiting to be downloaded in the Google Play Store. You will inevitably see then that spending money to optimize for different browsers is not the holy grail!

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]wockaflakasucka[/nom]at Shin-san sounds like you work at one broke buisness to still be using dinosaurs at work.No wounder why tech support calls take so long. They use stoneage Garbage of computers.[/citation]

Big companies have cutom written software for enterprise that are hand-coded for certain setups. Some software requires IE6 or 7. So, the corporate users are stuck with whatever outdated browser is needed to run that software.

In a business, you don't care if Youtube renders properly. You DO care that your workers can fill out their time cards every week.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]whooleo[/nom]Ha! The PCs at my school all still have IE7 even though I've tried to update some but those damn head techs are so lazy they hardly even install updates let alone update IE or even Firefox which is still at 3.6! I've found that school IT departments are the worst and laziest in my experiance...[/citation]
Damn... at mine, IE is up to date (the Win7 machines have IE9 and the XP ones have IE8), aside from a few teacher's machines, but all of them (aside from a few teacher machines that got updated) are running Firefox 3.6. Really?

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
You know, it's kinda funny - tmobile's site doesn't even work properly in Safari (5.1 I think). I tried to buy a SIM activation kit there yesterday and it wouldn't even render. (that's on my dad's Mac - it rendered fine using Chrome and Firefox)

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
At my school all the computers are running Windows XP with IE8. The IT tech hates it but there's not much he can do about it. He does make sure that all updates (that are needed) are applied, and he's locked down things that are not needed. All the students laptops that we get are running Windows 7 64bit (new students get 64bit, mine is 32bit) including the teachers laptops, the exception being those students in the Graphic Arts programs, they get Macbook Airs. Of course the Windows laptops are POS HP620's with Celeron Dual cores and 4GB ram.

As for this guy charging a tax, it's BS! All he needs to do is stop supporting IE7, on the popup tell users their browser is no longer supported and provide links Google Chrome, Firefox, IE9, and Opera. It's a rather simple solution, my colleges website (used for submitting assignments, and taking exams in class) tells you if your browser isn't supported and have links to supported browsers. There for a while FF wasn't supported because of all the new versions that were coming out one after the other.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

At my school, we have a large problem with Autodesk's tutorials that require pre-made files from the Help Center (or whatever it was called) in order for saved files to work. The reason why the files were needed because many of the tutorials lasted over 30 minutes (sometimes longer depending on the user's skills), and several of them require the same saved files. Nobody has the time or patience to sit at the computer for hours.

Typically that isn't a problem, but the IT department locked down a lot of stuff, including required files, and screwed up the saving process. As a result for many tutorials, they couldn't be completed because we couldn't save our progress.

On the plus side, they installed IE8 and allowed Firefox. The downside? Windows xp will not be replaced until 2014.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Chrome 12.958 .0235%
Chrome 12.972 .0173%
Chrome 13.049 .0025%
Chrome 13.126 .0427%
Chrome 13.133 .0149%

and on the list goes

Status
Not open for further replies.