Early Review: Nintendo DSi XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not much of a difference size isnt what we want we want more kool features more technology more games but MORE size isnt at all better i dnt think it will even fit in my pocket i know i wnt be spending my money on this or trading in my dsi and paying money either ill just stick wit dsi untill you guys come out with more kool features and technology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THUMBS DOWN 4 DSI XL
-SORRY

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
@diana333

judging by your spelling and grammar, i am going to assume you are not in the demographic this device is supposed to appeal to.
its not supposed to fit in a pocket, its larger specifically for people who have trouble staring at a smaller screen. i would have no use for such a device, but its nice that nintendo are offering it as an option for the new legions of 'old' gamers who would probably hurt themselves trying to play on a DSi console.

try to remember that the gaming world does not revolve around you.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]memeroot[/nom]why can't they just ram a realy cheap phone in there so I dont need 2 devices?[/citation]

can you say (dare I say it) apple, or android?

Nintendo DS is a overaged product that just needs to die. My son wanted a DS more than anything and 3 years ago I bought him one. Now it just mostly collects dust because 75% of the games for it are crap and gimmicks.

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
They just release this and then announce the 3DS will be released probably around xmas.....which will totally replace the DSi XL.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I have a ds and the extra screen size would be nice, but there's little point without any extra resolution (if not for games, then for movies). Also they missed the opportunity to reposition the buttons so they are better for larger hands. The shoulder buttons are virtually unusable for me.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]can you say (dare I say it) apple, or android?Nintendo DS is a overaged product that just needs to die. My son wanted a DS more than anything and 3 years ago I bought him one. Now it just mostly collects dust because 75% of the games for it are crap and gimmicks.[/citation]

For me and my girlfriend, the ds is great. It's small so it fits in her bag and the battery life is fantastic so we use it a lot on holiday and flights. The appeal of the DS isn't cutting edge technology but the ability to suck time, think of it like flash games on the go.

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Actually I think the DS itself is a fantastic piece of gadgetry. Fine the majority of the games are gimmickey, and half of the games that are based on PS3, Wii or XBOX that have been carried over onto the DS dont work well, but as far as homebrew is concerned (and education) it's unbeatable. I've used mine as a remote control for my PC, browsing the internet on something readable thats cheaper than an XDA or an iPhone, recording sounds and music (albeit it doesn't handle loud noises all too well) and as a mini audio mixer and sampler. It's fantastically diverse and if the programming was open source everybody would have one!

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Memeroot, if they put a phone in it, then it wouldn't be simply a gaming console. It would be a phone first, and Nintendo doesn't make productivity devices. First and foremost, they are an entertainment company, and extra stuff will always come second. So even if you find that your Xbox 360/PS3 is more important to you than your Wii, keep in mind that the Wii is much more focused. It's a game console, and that's it (well, now it does netflix...but who's really going to use that for SD quality video?).

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]rtfm[/nom]I have a ds and the extra screen size would be nice, but there's little point without any extra resolution (if not for games, then for movies). Also they missed the opportunity to reposition the buttons so they are better for larger hands. The shoulder buttons are virtually unusable for me.[/citation]

Which model? If you've got a DSi, then yeah, keep going, the DSi XL isn't for you. If not, then the DSi XL is a great choice.

The more I use it, the more I'm glad I'm using it over a standard DSi. I do most of my portable gaming at home, because I don't like carrying a ton of gadgets with me on the road, no matter how small (PSP Go, for example, rarely travels with me), so size isn't a difference. But for the DSi XL, the size is a bonus. Unlike the PSP, it's not heavy and it doesn't get tiring to hold in any position, and the screen doesn't take a giant resolution hit if you use it properly.

Of course, with the 3DS just announced, I really wonder what Nintendo is thinking...they could have waited a few weeks, or until E3. It makes us wonder why anyone would bother buying this when the 3DS could release this year.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]jamezrp[/nom]Which model? If you've got a DSi, then yeah, keep going, the DSi XL isn't for you.citation]

Yeah, I've got the DSi.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]rtfm[/nom]Yeah, I've got the DSi.[/citation]

It's a tough call. Unless you've got $190 burning a hole in your pocket, I wouldn't recommend it as a smart purchase decision. But on the other hand, everyone in my house loves the DSi XL now, even though we've literally got every DS model (see pictures above!), as well as PSP's and iPhones. I don't know if it's just the newness, but the big screen really, and I mean really makes for an interesting social experience.

But, once again, it's still $190 for a bigger DSi.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]memeroot[/nom]why can't they just ram a realy cheap phone in there so I dont need 2 devices?[/citation]
That's because a smartphone, while a cool idea, is a VERY ambitious project. You have to worry about a ton more things with it, especially how it'll work with each of the mish-mash of standards any ONE carrier will use on their networks, let alone all of them, plus you have to deal with them, the FCC, etc. about approving its use as a phone, getting a carrier to agree to use it for their customers, etc.

While with a handheld console, Nintendo has 100% control; they don't have to talk with anyone else about it, so they have far less things to juggle; it's much easier.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]That's because a smartphone, while a cool idea, is a VERY ambitious project. You have to worry about a ton more things with it, especially how it'll work with each of the mish-mash of standards any ONE carrier will use on their networks, let alone all of them, plus you have to deal with them, the FCC, etc. about approving its use as a phone, getting a carrier to agree to use it for their customers, etc.While with a handheld console, Nintendo has 100% control; they don't have to talk with anyone else about it, so they have far less things to juggle; it's much easier.[/citation]

I don't agree with that nottheking. Sure, there's more to worry about, but if Nintendo had a similar model to Apple, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. Considering Nintendo's market, they could easily make a deal with a service provider (or several) to have an Apple-like app store and control over their product.

The thing is, they wouldn't.

No matter what happens, Nintendo isn't interested in making a phone, which may or may not be a good thing. They want to focus on an entertainment device, strictly for entertainment purposes. Now, if they made the 3DS have an exceptional camera and made good use of it for gaming, that would be a reasonable exception (as we've stated in this and the prior DS review, the camera stinks, except when viewing on the DS itself).

However, there are possible gaming applications for phones as well, which Nintendo could explore. My impression is that until either Apple, Sony (with their recently-rumored PSP-phone) can achieve great success on a phone-portable console, they won't do it. There's no reason for them to do it, and the aim for an inexpensive portable gaming device and a cheap phone is more consumer-friendly than an all-in-one and expensive device.

G

you guys just need to realize that the dsi xl is just for seeing a screen better. And that if you want a hardcore ds just get the 3ds.

G

In my honest opinion the DSi/XL and the 3DS will and are great gaming consoles and whoever says "They should just die already" are complete retards... just saying. Nintendo don't just make random things for the sake of it, DSi and DSi XL are different because one is adapted for use with the older crowd that maybe have reduced vision etc. Just remember guys Nintendo is family orientated so the products they make aren't for hardcore gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.