How To: Put Your Office on Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

traesta

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I was seriously expecting to see you rip out the center console and stuff a mATX motherboard and components in there then run a touch screen mounted on the dash somewhere... but at the end of the first page I saw the words "Velcro" and "magnetic tape" and sighed in disbelief

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Gamber-Johnson have been making vehicle notebook mounts for years. I've used one in the past with a Panasonic Toughbook and it worked quite well. It even had a mount for a small printer underneath. I believe the LAPD uses a similar setup in their cruisers.

To be honest, the car he used is more of a bottleneck for this project. On my car I replaced the factory headunit with a double-DIN JVC with BT and NAV. Now I can use my phone without a second BT gadget, and not worry about keeping it charged either. A simple $20 12V adapter keeps my 3G smartphone charged, and I can tether my phone too, making the MiFi device totally unnecessary. My data plan doesn't subject me to a 5GB cap either. As for notebook power, I carry a second charged battery, giving me all-day power, be it in the car or on-site with a client. Much less gadgets, much simple to hook up, and much less to carry. Never mind leaving nothing in the vehicle for thieves to break in and knock off.

His set up is definitely not typical, but it's important to remember to go with what works best. This may work well for him, but it is not something another road-warrior may consider functional for their need or efficient for their budget. There are better ways to do what this guy did here.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I am a big fan of duct tape, super glue and velcro. It took me 2 minutes to velcro mount my KVM switch under by desk, then another minute to super glue the velcro a year latter when the adhesive gave out.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Go ahead and put that magnetic tape right in front of your center channel speaker. It won't harm your transducer at all :)
Geez, it's like when I see people sticking magnets to their PC case. Just idiocy.

mabaty

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
This article is nothing more than a marketing attempt, put the laptop on your lap, coffee in the cup holder, use the keyboard on the pc?, use the gps and bluetooth that is already installed in your Benz?.

Status
Not open for further replies.