Take-Two Predicts that THQ Won't Be Around in 6 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Regardless of Take-Two trash-talking, I absolutely love the organization. Their philosophy should be the golden standard of the gaming world. They really focus on outputting the highest quality products. They are against milking a series. That's why they said their IPs aren't an annual affair a la Call of Duty. I'm sure they could easily pump out a garbage version of GTA, BioShock, Max Payne, etc every November, instead their games always have development cycles of 2-3 years. They believe that this is how you maintain sustainability. And they're right. People are dumb. But are they dumb enough to buy the same game every year, even after a certain point? Okay, don't answer that. Anyway, virtually everything Take-Two publishes is high quality stuff.

As for THQ, they're in serious trouble. I was going to buy stock when it was $5 back in mid-2011 because I thought THQ was too big to not get their shit together. Thank god I didn't, it's selling at 50 cents a share. Who knows, maybe now is actually the best time to buy. Hopefully South Park ends up being a good game. Metro 2033: Last Light is another one. Other than that, they really have no killer app. Well, I guess Metro is a killer app because it'll kill any system right now.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
They are one of the few remaining publishers that won't alienate their customers by forcing them to be on-line for single-play and the like. THQ have always been striking me as a fair publisher. And no i don't think they end up bankrupt.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Well that is one way to look at it. My way, is THQ is missing the mark, period. They have had chance after chance and blow it 80% of the time. Spacemarine....imo if they had done the pc community right and given the users the power of dedicated servers they would have acquired what they needed, but they went with P2P=failz. It's just all but destroyed and useless in the end. Dark millennium coming up...more than likely dead to me unless I know for a fact it's not crippled by the internetz and P2P. Go back to the pc roots if you want pc adoration.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I love to play the Wrestling games, and for years THQ puts out the best Wrestling game out there. Because they have no competition, there is nothing to challenge them.

Still they have the SAME bugs for years, they advertise something and then it turns out totally different than they said it would be.

In short: Quality is not something that THQ is familiar with.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
*sigh* i wish volition was with someone else and developing FreeSpace 3...first Interplay and now THQ...poor Volition....

G

At least THQ doesn't blatantly steal like Samsung and Google. If we are lucky, Android won't be around in six months either!

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
THQ doesn't publish the Rayman games. they never have. Rayman is an Ubisoft franchise. Sloppy research buddy.

The main problem with THQ is that most of stuff they publish is second tier. Yet they try to sell them as AAA games.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
All THQ games always seem to have so much potential. I always feel like they are almost there.
Dawn of War was a good game but it did not have proper wide screen support until the Soul Storm title.
Dawn of War 2 was just plain bad. They removed everything that made the first game a real time strategy.
Home Front had the potential to be great game. They needed more than 4 maps, and the maps needed to be better balanced. For example on team starts on a mountain full of trees and shrubs to hide in and the other team has to cross a huge open field. The team in the grass would lose every time. The voice chat was messed up was locked at like 2% of system volume so you could not hear people. Text chat sucked because it was like 4pt baby blue font that was impossible to read.
Space Marine has a fun single player, multiplayer was always laggy due to a weak P2P system. And the game had very limited resolutions and graphics settings.
Metro33 is cool.
The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games were all cool.
THQ has not been the best PC game studio but I liked their games I hope they don’t crap out.

G

@ mchuf "The main problem with THQ is that most of stuff they publish is second tier. Yet they try to sell them as AAA games."

I agree,
Take 2 have had a few lemons too ( Duke Nukem Reboot for one )
What a lot of people forget is that THQ and Take 2 are the publishers, they're mainly interested in getting their money back from the outlay of the team that produced the games.
What happens if the Star Players ( Rockstar and Bethesda ) decide to go elsewhere when their contracts are done ? THQ struggles ......
Activision and Electronic Arts used to also have good names for CREATING, now they're basicly pimps for everbody elses stuff ( Same as THQ and Take 2 )

So to cut a long story short ... Mr Zelnik is pretty much saying our Hookers are better than yours ;)
The only reason anyone takes these people seriously is because there's so much money involved.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
U better not die... Ill be buying Titan Quest and Company of Heroes!!!! Very soon AHHHHH THQ dont go away. You are the last remaining fair publishing company out of all other gay ass publishers such as EA / Ubi / Activihack / Blizzard!

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I wonder if Vigil Games owns the IP on Darksiders or if THQ does. I have a feeling DS2 will be a real big hit, especially since it is launching mid summer without 3 huge competitors coming out in the same quarter as the first game did.

If THQ goes under, I definitely don't want to see Vigil or Relic belly up, hopefully they could either move to modern self publishing (yea right) or get bought by some publisher that is not EA / Activision / etc.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
COH is their best franchise and btw wasnt a good fit for the Dawn of War franchise by far. They are way past due on redoing a COH sequel and would have had the stupid udraw money better spent on that. Personally I have liked how THQ has done business with less DRM than most others and fair treatment to the gamers with LAN play support intact for the most part and not dumbing down the whole system to suit consoles. I would hate to see them go under and hopefully they figure their way through before being swallowed up like the others, or left to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.