CEO-to-be Details "One Sony" Plan for Struggling Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

seels

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
There's no point in Sony attempting to have a bright future when Apple is around. Apple will forever be the best company out there making innovative technology 10 years ahead of it's time. My Mac's, iPhone, and iPad will always be better than anything something Microsoft or Sony could ever come out with.

alvine

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
[citation][nom]seels[/nom]There's no point in Sony attempting to have a bright future when Apple is around. Apple will forever be the best company out there making innovative technology 10 years ahead of it's time. My Mac's, iPhone, and iPad will always be better than anything something Microsoft or Sony could ever come out with.[/citation]
thanks but no thanks. go ahead and buy your shiny products with apple tax since their products are sooo revolutionary

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
The problem with Sony? I go inside an electronics store and see Sony products almost always having a premium over other brands. Almost always, Sony products cost more than LG or Samsung. Maybe they have some cool, nifty feature or have better brand value, but people just don't care. People see that the Samsung TV looks just as cool and also made by a reputable company while costing quite a bit less, and they buy it. Same goes with their laptops and MP3 players. Then again, I don't live in the U.S., so this may not apply everywhere.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]seels[/nom]There's no point in Sony attempting to have a bright future when Apple is around. Apple will forever be the best company out there making innovative technology 10 years ahead of it's time. My Mac's, iPhone, and iPad will always be better than anything something Microsoft or Sony could ever come out with.[/citation]
Because they use outdated hardware & a dumbed down OS? I'll give you credit for the iPod (the older generations), but everything after that is just like its competitors & nothing worth sneezing at.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Woah, dude, relax. Apple might be a good company but.. Dude are you serious..?

G

The problem I see with Sony is that they want to have a proprietary interface for everything. Example - their stupid memory cards. SDs weren't good enough for them so they did a different form factor and interface and charged 25% more.
That and I don't know that I would ever trust them after their root kit ways.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I'm sorry to burst you bubble but Apple has not done nothing innovative 10 years ahead of it's time EVER.

They didn't invent the mouse, they didn't did anything new with the iPod, they didn't invent the thin laptop form factor (Sony were years ahead of Apple in this actually), they didn't invent the tablets.

You Apple fanboys are so secure in your ignorance that you get laugh at in tech forums.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Because they use outdated hardware & a dumbed down OS? I'll give you credit for the iPod (the older generations), but everything after that is just like its competitors & nothing worth sneezing at.[/citation]

Hmm.... You need to get out (a lot) more. Take a look at the iPad or iPhone on your next outing and let us know how outdated the hw is.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Hmm.... You need to get out (a lot) more. Take a look at the iPad or iPhone on your next outing and let us know how outdated the hw is.[/citation]
iPhone 4S is outdated and in the iPad 3 case, well the PS Vita had the GPU first so nothing new there.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
sony has a few major problems.

premium price without being significantly better
cameras that cant focus for crap with video
propitiatory memory (good for making a bit of extra money, bad for consumer)

these are the major problem areas... and here are my fixes.

make a monitor for the computer 2560x1600, 1080x1200, and make 3 tvs, 70inch, 50 inch, 30 inch only, dont make every size under the sun. consolidating the screen sizes will serve to drop prices while able to keep a higher over all quality, and by hitting most of the major screen sizes you get people to see those 3 instead of 20 different ones all competeing with others of the same size.

for the cameras, make them focus right, and give the user some control on focus when shooting. some times i have to take a picture behind a screen, but it focuses on the screen.

dump propitiatory memory unless you have something to offer, for now, offer sd converters, and phase out exclusive memory.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Do or die with Sony...Sony's real competitor is Samsung, not Apple...Apple is just software...Sony and Samsung are both predominantly hardware makers, with Sony having an edge with Software in the gaming industry, Unfortunately, the last decade, Samsung has managed to took over SONY's position.

Some of SONY's problem....overpriced hardware, dumb propriatery crap memory cards (and they re-introduce it in the VITA....and they are not aggresive enough in the smarphone/tablet market. Frankly, they should just kill off their laptop line...doesn't makes sense at all. Overpriced laptops which doesn't offers anything more. I am not sure how's their LCD screen production coming though . Or do they have manufacturing capabilities for AMOLED, OLED whatever LED which will be the trend (set by Samsung)? AMOLED has freaking huge demand...

rumandcoke

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
you're in every thread posting the same nonsense... are you an undercover Tom's-paid troll who is here to stir up responses and boost seo?
:/

rumandcoke

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]... make 3 tvs, 70inch, 50 inch, 30 inch only, don't make every size under the sun. [/citation]
I see your point... although I for one want to get the biggest tv I can in the space available/that my wife will allow... so if that's a size in-between 30 & 50 then that's where i'll go

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Make that 32, 40, 55, and 65, and I'd agree with you. Also, concentrate on Bravia line, flush the rest, and pricepoint aggressively against rivals.

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010

Seels was dropped on the head when he was a baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.