244 Years Later, Encylopedia Britannica is Going Out of Print

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Is been a long time since I see a door to door sales person.

In other news: Someone bought a printed "mint" edition of the last printed edition of Encyclopedia Britannica for an insane amount of $$$$, sources claim that the amount of $$$$ is
"so insane" that they refuse to printed.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]RIP Britannica. But if they are going digital, they will have Wikipedia as their competitor, which made Encarta go out of business.[/citation]

Wikipedia - a source of info that "anyone can edit" and is discouraged to solely use in academia settings

Brittanica - info that has been true and sound for 244 years...allows for user content recommendations but still needs to be validated.

...Yeah that's tough competition.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]RIP Britannica. But if they are going digital, they will have Wikipedia as their competitor, which made Encarta go out of business.[/citation]
Encarta went out of business because it was terrible. They just could not make up their mind who their audience was. the articles (at least when I use to use it) were written far above the heads of kids, and yet the layout was something that first graders would find unprofessional.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@COLGeek : You read a 32-volume collection several times and you only learned a thing or two??? I'd be a regular know-it-all if I'd have only read a couple of pages! ;)

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I still have a set of encyclopedias from the 1950-1960's at my moms house. I used to use them when I was in elementary through high school which was in the 90's lol.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jl0329[/nom]I will buy a set of print edition. It might pay for my grandchildren's college tuition when the time comes.[/citation]

The last set of encyclopedias wont be a collectors item until most copies are lost or destroyed. That will take a hundred years.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]I still have a set of encyclopedias from the 1950-1960's at my moms house. I used to use them when I was in elementary through high school which was in the 90's lol.[/citation]

I have my great grandmother's set from 1902. She was a school teacher.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Kind of sad. Trying to recall the last time a door to door salesman tried to sell Encyclopedia's and I believe it was while I was a kid in the early 80s...lol.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Yeah, what's the point anymore...
Modern encyclepedia = Internet
But there is a trade off cause a real encyclopedia has factual information while the internet has plenty of garbage that needs to be taken with a grain of salt if you get my drift...

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
i dont get this... there is still a need for books. they will last longer than on a hdd.
a totally dumb move that only an idiot would consider a good idea...
yes the price of the books is pretty steep but they re worth the effort and money to collect as everything in them is based on facts or empirical evidence... cant say the same for wiki...

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Yeah, what's the point anymore...Modern encyclepedia = InternetBut there is a trade off cause a real encyclopedia has factual information while the internet has plenty of garbage that needs to be taken with a grain of salt if you get my drift...[/citation]

Well if they go online, they will keep a tight lid on what content is allowed and what is not. I think it will be great. It will depend on how they 'collect revenue'. Donations, user pays or use FB's horrible advertising model.

I am thinking user pays.... Maybe site wide educational pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.