The Best Time to Get a Deal on iPad 3? 6 Months From Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
If you already have an iPad 2, I don't see much reason to bother with an iPad 3. Usually by the time you need to upgrade your Apple device, they already stop supporting the one you are upgrading from.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Seriously, people would wait 6 months to save a couple of bucks? What is the point on a niche device like this? I might understand if you had another tablet, but waiting 6 months to buy a product you know you want is kind of stupid. (not saying I would buy one either though) By the time you do, they will already be talking about how great the Ipad 4 is going to be so why bother, you will just want to wait at that point for the next one, and so on and so forth.

G

the best deal to get an ipad 3 would be 5 yeas later in ebay.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]mx2138[/nom]misleading graph is misleading.[/citation]
Seriously. This is the third chart I've looked at (not all of them here) in the last two days where the scale makes a 10% difference look like 1000%.

If you have a valid point to make, you won't need misleading graphics to make it.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]threefish[/nom]The best time to buy new hardware is never.[/citation]

fixed:

The best time to buy anything made by apple is never

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Wait 6 months to get $60 off? Apple "discounting" at it's best I see. They might even take a dollar off the smart cases too! It's practically a STEAL!

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
iPad 1 is still better in so many ways than the new tablets from others, if you have iPad 1 or 2 you are in better shape than most new tablet owners.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]omega21xx[/nom]If you already have an iPad 2, I don't see much reason to bother with an iPad 3. Usually by the time you need to upgrade your Apple device, they already stop supporting the one you are upgrading from.[/citation]
I have an iPad1, Apple still support it... it runs iOS 5.x just fine - of course without the camera functions or gaming abilities.

Then in 6 months... you will be told "wait 6 months, the iPad 4 will be coming out". People will buy when they want to buy or can buy it. $480~520 isn't a big deal.

When its the 1980s and you spend $280 for JUST a 320k FLOPPY DRIVE, the $450 iPad2 is nothing. I still have that floppy drive with its box, bigger and heavier than my ThinkPad.

[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]fixed: The best time to buy anything made by apple is never[/citation] In the end, Apple, MS, Google, Samsung, etc.. its all just business.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Apple haters lol. 99% of them never used one touched one or could afford one. But yet still come to bash on something they have no clue about just like to hate on something popular makes them feel...well complete. Complete waste of everyone's time here.

Go hang out in a Church of iCrap website.

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
It seems like Apple has been churning out refreshes of their products, but lately I've noticed that the steps that they take have increasingly diminished. The Iphone 4s isn't THAT big of an improvement over the Iphone4.

The premiums seem large, which is expected for a new product. It's unfitting that the components don't scale equivalently. Maybe it's just me. I've owned several Ipods, 2 or 3 nanos, and a couple of itouches. My girlfriend has had an iphone 3gs, and now has an iphone4.

The jump from the 3gs to the 4 was pretty large, and is definitively noticeable, which justifies the price tag. (albeit a particularly hefty one) The updates from the generations of other ipods have always scaled fairly well, in my opinion as well.

Is this just a marketing trick to dupe uninformed shoppers? I think it's possible, but anyone who does a little research will find that apple products are quite pricey. I always hear "but they last longer" or "they don't get viruses" or something like "they're better than...."

Anyone that has made the switch from pc to apple has always praised apple, and shunned pcs, but the majority of the time, the pc that they had was never maintained properly. Poor ventilation, from dust build up, and very few ever ran diagnostic tools, to identify and fix compounding problems.

I can agree that they're fairly reliable products, but the price v performance ratio is way off track. ( I'm sure every Tom'sHW member knows this)

/rant.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
What a load of bullshit.

The best time to buy stuff like this is right after an update. Either buy an iPad 2 really cheap or buy an iPad 3, but don't wait to save a few bucks on what will then be old technology.

If waiting 6 months is worth 60 bucks to you, then you shouldn't be buying an iPad 3 in the first place.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]omega21xx[/nom]If you already have an iPad 2, I don't see much reason to bother with an iPad 3. Usually by the time you need to upgrade your Apple device, they already stop supporting the one you are upgrading from.[/citation]

Not true, the device comes with a 1 year warranty unless you purchase Apple Care which makes it 3 years. Support for the tablet in terms of IOS updates happens for 3-5 years weather you have Apple care or not.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]aaronstyle[/nom]It seems like Apple has been churning out refreshes of their products, but lately I've noticed that the steps that they take have increasingly diminished. The Iphone 4s isn't THAT big of an improvement over the Iphone4. The premiums seem large, which is expected for a new product. It's unfitting that the components don't scale equivalently. Maybe it's just me. I've owned several Ipods, 2 or 3 nanos, and a couple of itouches. My girlfriend has had an iphone 3gs, and now has an iphone4.The jump from the 3gs to the 4 was pretty large, and is definitively noticeable, which justifies the price tag. (albeit a particularly hefty one) The updates from the generations of other ipods have always scaled fairly well, in my opinion as well.Is this just a marketing trick to dupe uninformed shoppers? I think it's possible, but anyone who does a little research will find that apple products are quite pricey. I always hear "but they last longer" or "they don't get viruses" or something like "they're better than...."Anyone that has made the switch from pc to apple has always praised apple, and shunned pcs, but the majority of the time, the pc that they had was never maintained properly. Poor ventilation, from dust build up, and very few ever ran diagnostic tools, to identify and fix compounding problems.I can agree that they're fairly reliable products, but the price v performance ratio is way off track. ( I'm sure every Tom'sHW member knows this) /rant.[/citation]

Well we have no idea what the new iPad will have. We know that it is supposed to have a high resolution screen and possibly LTE and probably a faster processor and or GPU and a better camera but we know nothing about the software side. It remains to be seen what the iPad 3 will have so it is hard to say that it will just be a small incremental update.

Status
Not open for further replies.