Sony's PS Vita Already Doomed? Devs Bailing Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
nice!
this thing needs to be priced around $120-150 at launch.
smartphones cost more, but they also do more. psv is aiming for a niche market without even knowing. sony shouldn't expect high sales numbers from it.

t_wilson

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
"He goes on to say that the comment was largely exaggerated"

You're not denying it, so there must be some truth behind it. Where there is smoke...

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Hold on hold on... There's something wrong here.
"Sony said it remained hopeful due to the success of the Nintendo 3DS"
AH! There it is...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I think the Vita will do fine when it comes to games, obviously Nintendo is going to be with the vast majority of games like it did when it was the DS vs PSP but the Vita is going to end up with notable exclusive games and a decent library to back it rather than a onslaught of games with good games but they mostly come from obvious franchises to expect while most of the rest will be nothing memorable.

I advise just waiting about a year. Wait till the next holiday season when a bunch of new games will be coming out and there will already be a list of games that are known for their quality. This will also providing it's expensive accessories like the memory cards for less and likely get a bundle deal with the console itself.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
They need to stop wasting time on these stupid hand-helds, especially Sony since they don't seem to sell well ever. With the path tablets and phones are taking, this type of device is hardly demanded. The marketing is off too, the name is just weird and isn't catchy.

Wish they'd focus on the NG so PC games stop suffering.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]It would sell far better if the 3G version was also a fully functional phone, at its price it might aswell be a phone/portable console.[/citation]
Totally. In the UK ( I guess in the US too) people are willing to sign up for two year contacts for a phone that also play games - Why not a console that also does calls. I play games more than I make calls and I can get bluetooth head sets so its not awkward to use as a phone. I'll not carry both and I need a phone.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]nice!this thing needs to be priced around $120-150 at launch. smartphones cost more, but they also do more. psv is aiming for a niche market without even knowing. sony shouldn't expect high sales numbers from it.[/citation]
Why should it be cheaper than a iPod Touch? Also the only thing that the PS Vita doesn't do that smartphones do is calling and texting. Does this account for the price difference? No.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
For the PSP, I waited until the early models (heavy, faulty drives, expensive) gave way to thinner units with better screens. Then I picked up a PSP-3000 for half the price at launch and actually had good games available. My plan is the same this time. I will get the PS Vita Slim when there's actually something fun to play on it. Maybe others are waiting too?

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hey, Hey Sony.

I've got an idea.

Make a peripheral for Sony/Ericcson phones. It plugs into the usb, it clamps to the phone, and it gives the phone 4 button and a 4 way digipad. (and you can take it off when you're done, so you're not lugging around a brick that occasionally plays games)

Result: Univeral availability, no need to purchase a 'gaming' phone, mass game developers heading your way, then take your pound of flesh for using your format.

Would probably boost your lacklustre phone sales too.

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Just put COD on it and they will sell millions! BOOM I should just work for Sony since they have no idea what they are doing!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
because it is a Gaming device, it SHOULD not have the same battery life as a smartphone. Put on a 24hours gaming without charging.

The only thing limit me on phone gaming is the battery life.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]cronik93[/nom]Maybe the lack of advertising? I didn't hear about it until a month or two ago...[/citation]

Then you didn't watch E3.

lassik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Then you didn't watch E3.[/citation]

True, gamers and people into tech know about it. But to the general population, this thing just doesn't exist! I live in the UK and I haven't seen a single advert for it.. and it launches in 5 days!

Sony's very bad lack of marketing will be Vita's downfall. There's 3DS adverts on TV all the time.

G

vita is so fail, so marketing will no help here
sony fucked up with its factories in Thailand,
they have no money.
no money - no marketing, no game devs, no success.
I know what I saying. if I'll can buy vita for

Status
Not open for further replies.