Sony May Be Eying Smartphones, Tablets with Vita OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]xenophorge[/nom]"Please insert Boot UMD, Memory Stick, or Beta"[/citation]
Well at least they got the BluRay thing right. Although it doesn't have as good of compression (uses an inferior codec) as HDDVD did...

Make the PSVita Phone and I might consider buying one.

Other than that I won't bother cause I'm not interested in mobile gaming. If I need to be mobile I can play on my phone (cause it's usually just me waiting in line) or if I will be away from my gaming devices for a while I can bring my laptop.

But since I need a phone anyway if I can make that phone play better games then great!

G

As a PS Vita user for almost 2 months now, I must say that the OS is very user friendly and fluid. much better than the crap you find in the market today.

However, as far as the hardware is concerned, it's too heavy to compete with smartphones. maybe on the tablet's end it could put up a fight (the screen size is perfect).

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I was not all that impressed with Vita OS when I saw the demo of it. I think I like the ribbon like the one on the PS3 allot better.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]another mobile OS = more competition, wich means the end user will have a better OS, i like this.[/citation]

The words "Sony" and "more competition" do not go well together !

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]another mobile OS = more competition, wich means the end user will have a better OS, i like this.[/citation]
no, this os is comeing from a company thats already hurting, and all its going to do if they go big and it doesnt get massive sales would be create another os that is largely abandoned.

more os doesnt mean better os, it means more money devs have to sink into porting, android and ios are already big, and ms has a vested interest in cracking the market even if it costs them money to do it, sony is already hemorrhaging money,

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I'm with @alldan. Between all the current market players, the mobile market feels saturated at least from an OS standpoint.

Android, iOS, WP7 ... Symbian and RIM which are diminishing... and of course WebOS which is basically defunct already.

Great time to try and enter the market. What's next Sony going (try) to challenge Windows on the desktop front, with some barely used homegrown desktop OS?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Perhaps Sony realizes the danger of relying on one company for the core of their mobile phones. If Google changes its mind/policy/pricing then a lot of manufacturers would be SOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.