Google Close to Launching Cloud Storage Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

As long as the servers are located in Mongolia we shouldn't worry about a server seizure ...

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Can't wait. I've been using Google's storage for Picasa and Google Docs and is inconvenient to use for other files. I hope they could slash prices or increase storage. I can't seem to have enough of it.

G

why would google offer 2-5GB on a cloud storage service when gmail gives you >7GB and it is free?

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
They're only doing it so now they can even have access to what used to be stored locally by people and beyond their reach.

Okay, okay I'm only joking ...but what if I'm not? lol

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]ThisIsMe[/nom]They're only doing it so now they can even have access to what used to be stored locally by people and beyond their reach.Okay, okay I'm only joking ...but what if I'm not? lol[/citation]Unless the service requires a proprietary client to use it then that won't happen. If you are worried about privacy then use encryption.

jbo5112

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Google is going to release a service where you can upload a video, then send people a link to it??! HOLY YOUTUBE BATMAN!!

wopr11

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
And if you ever bother to read Google's User Agreement you will notice that anything you upload becomes Google's Property and they can do with it anything they want - and there's nothing you can do about it.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Why are they still pushing this cloud BS?

SOPA .... PIPA .... Megaupload .... FBI ....

Like I am going to trust my backups to this "cloud" house of cards.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
They are marketing cloud storage as a way to share data with other people, so there is no reason to worry about it being taken offline as its not designed to be used as primary or even backup storage. If they limit the file types to media and office-type documents then they aren't really offering anything new since you can already do that with their other services. Still, it would be nice to have a central location to manage all of your online files. I'll give it a try, I just won't upload anything incriminating.

Status
Not open for further replies.