Both SOPA and PIPA Shelved Due to Recent Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
"More time will pass with jobs lost and economies hurt by foreign criminals who are stealing American intellectual property, and [strike]selling it back[/strike] to American consumers,"

Correction: giving it back to American consumers for free :)

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
"Counterfeiting & piracy cost 1000s of jobs yearly."

Seem's like an extremely biased statistic which he probably cannot reference. Glad the battle has been put on hold for now.. the whole bill is still disgusting though. Good to know everybody more or less has the same opinion - get your dirty paws off mah internet!

P.S - shove it MPAA/RIAA!

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
What American jobs are lost to piracy? Please, this is an honest question, can someone let me know? 1000s of them are lost each year to piracy! So, what are they?

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
The Protect IP Act does nothing more than make it possible for the U.S. government to handle illegal foreign websites in the same manner it can already do -- and has been doing -- with illegal sites
They can't take down foreign sites which means they would have to block them effectively creating an internet blacklist. What happens when a US citizen uses a foreign DNS server or proxy to get around the blockade? Will the get thrown in Jail?!

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
"The Protect IP Act does nothing more than make it possible for the U.S. government to handle illegal foreign websites in the same manner it can already do -- and has been doing -- with illegal sites,"

If all it does is let the government do what they can already do, why does it need to be passed?

G

This is just a political move.. too much heat right now.. shelve it for now.
then bring back the bill when the people forget about it...

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
quote: Somewhere in China today, in Russia today, and in many other countries that do not respect American intellectual property, criminals who do nothing but peddle in counterfeit products and stolen American content are smugly watching how the United States Senate decided it was not even worth debating how to stop the overseas criminals from draining our economy," he added.

obviously these people are still living in the cold war. the problem in not concentrated there anymore, it's global! sure they want and think that there 30 year old speech is gonna still work, but doesn't look like it does anymore.
sorry for the quote, I'm writing from my thrive tablet,

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I am not a fan of the MPAA or the RIAA. I'm also not a fan of SOPA or PIPA. I'd also like nothing more than to see all 4 of these fail horribly as they are all out of touch with modern consumerism and loaded with unnecessary greed harming and pissing off consumers.

The reality is however, people do lose jobs from piracy. If businesses don't make their target "profit margins" they will and do lay people off. THQ cited their bankruptcy and layoffs was directly due to the pirating of Titan Quest series.

I'd love to see industries involved go to a model like Steam or GOG. It would benefit all involved.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Should have been drafted as Protect-Distribution but that would have involved refining how media is distributed so cut rate and ignoring that distribution is generally how IP gets pirated in the first place. No comment on how to make distribution media pirate and hacker proof.. but it is a much better place to start.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Wow this just shows how clueless these people are. I am so glad this bill did not fall through. People like that guy would result an a scary world to live in. These people have no consideration for the working class trying to make ends meet. I guess most of you on here have lost the basic right of LIVING. The recession is what's hurting everybody, people are not spending money on movies or things that are not a NECESSITY. What if everybody decided not to spend anymore money on entertainment, mindless things that we can live without. Is it still Piracy Mr.Rich Man??.

G

[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]I am not a fan of the MPAA or the RIAA. I'm also not a fan of SOPA or PIPA. I'd also like nothing more than to see all 4 of these fail horribly as they are all out of touch with modern consumerism and loaded with unnecessary greed harming and pissing off consumers. The reality is however, people do lose jobs from piracy. If businesses don't make their target "profit margins" they will and do lay people off. THQ cited their bankruptcy and layoffs was directly due to the pirating of Titan Quest series.I'd love to see industries involved go to a model like Steam or GOG. It would benefit all involved.[/citation]

I'm still not convinced. The people that never purchased the title, and pirated it, most likely would have never purchased it if pirated copies were unavailable. Look at HAWX 2. It was so bad, nobody bothered to crack it, and nobody bothered to buy it either as a result of it being largely unavailable to the pirate community.

The only thing that is for certain though, is that THQ failed to produce a product (Titan Quest) that was compelling enough to purchase.

Anyway, back to the article. I'm glad this has all been put on hold. I'm still not convinced that piracy of data, cleverly arranged combinations of 1s and 0s (games/mp3s), has any huge impact. There's no physical medium that's been taken from a store shelf that would represent a loss of income for the creators and retailers. I'm still going with the assumption that people would pass on purchasing regardless of its availability on the net.

I'm a reformed pirate. I'm much more selective about the titles I really want to play, and purchase them. I no longer feel like I need to "try out" every new release to see if I like it. I stick to website reviews and gameplay videos on sites like youtube.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I might be more sympathetic if games or movies making more would actually help anybody but the highest in the company. It's one thing if a game does extremely poorly and puts a company out of business, but it's another thing for games or movies to sell very well and are pirated a large amount.

The worker sees no benefit if the game sells twice as many copies, and actually I think the same lay-off after a big release will happen due to the majority of the work being done on a game (only patches and maintenance need to be done after the big release). I think the bigger factor of piracy is whether or not to include PC in the next release because as compared to going out of business.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]What American jobs are lost to piracy? Please, this is an honest question, can someone let me know? 1000s of them are lost each year to piracy! So, what are they?[/citation]
if SOPA is approved I lose my job. that's for sure.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
This stuff is never dropped. The methodology just becomes even more subvert. Its' the same reason the Mexican border is a joke despite the bloodshed and carnage. You will see this come back through a back-door policy, it's never over. Why do you think the US border with Mexico has been such a joke, for so long? Because politicians say one thing and do the opposite. Don't just keep your eye on one thing, either; like devious slags operating within British government, they will use one issue to divert attention away from another. Obama still has the North American Union in his agenda, still wants to jack of 'green' taxes, still wants open borders with Mexico despite the carnage, bloodshed and drugs.

They've put the legislation on hold. Remember that. Remember that all they need now is the right catalyst. Remember that this is not the only plan they have up their sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.