Hackers Launching Satellite to Evade Internet Censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Now this is something I'd like to see. If we can make it so we don't need the corporate networks anymore, they will wither and die. A truly free internet? It is about time.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I have a better solution: load all the morons that came up with this SOPA and SOPA-like projects, together with all the politicians that support these, in a few rockets, aim for the Sun and launch. It would be expensive to lift all these fat ar$e$, but I'm sure people will pitch in for that.

G

As much as I'd like to see this, it will never happen. Costs alone will keep the satellite from ever being launched. Even if does get launched, people would never put up with the spotty coverage. It would be better for the time and money to be spent finding ways around government efforts to control internet traffic.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mgilbert[/nom]As much as I'd like to see this, it will never happen. Costs alone will keep the satellite from ever being launched. Even if does get launched, people would never put up with the spotty coverage. It would be better for the time and money to be spent finding ways around government efforts to control internet traffic.[/citation]

untill the laws against circumventing come into play.

------------

that said, the internet needs to be censored. not for movies and crap being pirated, but because of cp, and i dont mean the kid got a digital camera and took a pic of themselves nude kind, i mean the adult molests a kid kind. granted sopa cant stop cp, and is an all around bad idea, but he internet needs some amount of censorship.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Sounds FANTASTIC, but this'll never be put in good practice. Also, who guarantees Chaos Club, or whoever controls the network, won't sell everyone out like Google and Facebook do?

What people can do is outright boycott the supporters as much as possible, like what happened to GoDaddy (although I think they still support SOPA behind the scenes).

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
I plan on going to the moon one day too, Tom please post my news on you web site too please, thanks your the best!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It will take a bunch of these to make a useable network unless they figure out a way to provide nuclear power plants and massively capable transceivers.

This concept has been considered elsewhere (try looking at psuedolites at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudolite). Providing enough power to be effective and enough devices to provide mesh of coverage are significant challenges. Then there is the whole issue of airspace/space management.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
"The first goal is an uncensorable Internet in space. Let's take the Internet out of the control of terrestrial entities,"

only extra-terrestrial entities can sensor the internet! This day...is OUR Independence Day!

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Use the lowspeed uncensored network to provide information (DNS resolution, encrpytions keys etc) to establish an encrypted highspeed tunnel/connection on the terestrial networks.

thething

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
The USA can't control the internet outside their territory, and if they try to, they will be resisted, and this initiative will be the first of many, in my opinion.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Stopping piracy isn't the issue; after all Tom's does not support piracy, and threads even mentioning it as an option tend to get closed quickly in the forums. It's the whole "guilty until proven innocent" problem of SOPA that needs to die a grisly death.

More on topic, I see this as a very spotty temporary "solution" at best. Should it become measurably effective, you can be certain it will be shut down and/or the satellites shot down, making it ultimately a waste.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]Use the lowspeed uncensored network to provide information (DNS resolution, encrpytions keys etc) to establish an encrypted highspeed tunnel/connection on the terestrial networks.[/citation]
If you throw a proxy or 2 into the mix to circumvent restricted IPs then that could actually work. Of course its no permanent long-term guarantee though. Personally I'd like to see a new protocol (not TCP/IP) and wireless infrastructure.

danjimaru

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
NZB and VPN that's the solution. But obviously those who started nzb have too big of a lead, I pressume. Obviously there are many ways to launder a few dirty millions on the web. Shooting a rocket up to space is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.