GoDaddy Reconsiders, Decides to No Longer Support SOPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
vote with your wallet, godaddy supported sopa and is only backing off due to financial pressure and backlash. I'm in the make htem an example and show thier ilk, that attempts at censorship and locking out sites cannot be. 4 domains moved to google and staying there, I don't care where you move your stuff, but please remove it from godaddy.com

silverberry

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Try NameSilo. I'm on their Facebook page and they just announced a coupon code BULKTRANSFER. It is 15% off on any single transfer order of more than $50, and the 15% applies to the entire order regardless of the total amount spent. They are getting good feedback online for price and service.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I have my domains with Domain Monger, but have a dedicated server with GoDaddy. Once my service expires in June, it is time to get a server with someone else and repoint all the ip addresses.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
http://www.namecheap.com/ is getting lots of recommendations on the slashdot article about this. I haven't used them. They also do SSL certs.

scallywagy

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
What makes the impending legislation interesting is the fact that Go Daddy will be exempted from having to obey its stipulations, effectively giving it free reign and the proxy to continue its role as a server to large media outlets who stand to take market share from independent media agencies and re assert their dominance from cable, print media and if they play their cards right the internet...the final holy grail and until now the dominion of indie content providers. Either way Go daddy is trying to straddle the line

http://scallywagandvagabond.com/2011/12/sopa-backlash-sends-thousands-of-web-masters-leaving-go-daddy-whilst-the-main-stream-media-conspicuously-looks-the-other-way/

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Yeah, GoDaddy lost their reputation for the way they conduct business. Google GoDaddy Auction Scams and you will see another dark chapter of theirs. Glad I don't have any of my domains with them.

G

Two frightening pieces of controversial legislation, SOPA and The NDAA only go to further stifle our Constitutional Rights without the approval of the Americans, just as the Patriot Act was adopted WITHOUT public approval or vote just weeks after the events of 9/11. A mere 3 criminal charges of terrorism a year are attributed to this act, which is mainly used for no-knock raids leading to drug-related arrests without proper cause for search and seizure. The laws are simply a means to spy on our own citizens and to detain and censor public opinion without trial or a right to council. You can read much more about living in this Orwellian society of fear and see my visual response to these measures on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/09/living-in-society-of-fear-ten-years.html

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Open proposal to move domains?! Yeah right, in past few days they were losing some 3k domains daily and it's not yet certain will Wikipedia stay with them.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]kenyee[/nom]Where do you guys who moved get SSL certificates?[/citation]
digicert.com verisign.com starfieldtech.com rapidssl.com and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.