Roundup: 22-Inch LCD Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I am a HUGE fan of LG's flatron monitors. They're generally very competitively priced for the quality you get.

One word of advice though, Dont buy a monitor online unless it has a zero-dead pixel guaranty as well as free return shipping. With the extremely high pixel counts of today's LCDs, the odds of getting a dead pixel are actually quite high, so the ability to take it back to the store and exchange it without any fees is a real benefit.

randomizer

Distinguished
Need to see data, not just "record-breaking response times." A few of the monitors have some numbers but others have nothing more than a description.

I second the blue dominance on the 2253BW as well. It's a shocker unless you reduce the blue to almost nothing.

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I have the Samsung 2253BW. They are right about the color and view angles. Took me a full day tinkering just to get the colors and positioning the way I wanted... big PITA. Once all setup its pretty nice. Best use as a gaming screen, built in hand drip makes moving around easy too.

randomizer

Distinguished
I found the 2253BW has bad buttons and bad button positions. My "menu" button doesn't really work and since you can't see any of the buttons it can be hard to find them sometimes.

G

Thanks for the review. It helped me select which LCD Monitor worked best for me.

andyviant

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Maybe I'm the only Toms reader not up on my display type acronyms, but TN could have been briefly defined prior to using it on every page of this writeup. For those also not in the loop it's Twisted Nematic.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I dislike the trend to adding cheap speakers in all monitors above like 22" makes me feel like i'm paying for something i'll never use.

Anthelvar

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
I've got the samsung 2233rz 120hz refresh. GREAT GAMING MONITOR. Plus the 3d with Nvidia is awesome. Some good games are Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead. Mass effect is the most visually pleasing of them all, but Left 4 dead is the most fun to use it with.

Also, it's about time that TOMS finally did a piece that GAMERS might be interested in. By the way, your new GPU charts stink, I don't want subcatagories of high end and low end, just the GPU's for the last 3 years. If you want, color code the charts to price brackets or better yet, Generations of models.

You guys have lost touch with what gamers want. Plus your website was extremely laggy on the few articles I found interesting in the last month.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Hi Toms

How about a roundup in the 24 inch class.Many of us feel a 24 is the way to go?Please Consider.Thank-You for this articles non the less.

Xsamitt

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm satisfied with the Samsung T240. I was using a CRT 19 before and this is quite an upgrade. Not the best monitor out there, but I got it for a heck of a deal!

dcinmich

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
When I built my first computer (the one I have now) I went with the LG W2252TQ. My niece has been using an LG monitor for a long time and she highly recommended I try one, so I thought I would take the hint. I picked this monitor up from my local Best Buy where the kind computer tech hooked it up to a PC for me so I could see what Windows looked like on it. I was sold immediately. This has turned out to be the best monitor I have ever owned.

matobinder

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Very glad to see a LCD review. I'm dreading the day my current tube dies, as most LCDs still can't match them(decent tubes that is). Unless you get in to the 1000 dollar range. Just wish the resolution was better. 1680 x 1050 is losing some space to the traditional 1600x1200. Though 1920 x 1080 is a bit better.

Hopefully more reviews and more consumer research will prompt companies to start making good quality LCDs and cheaper prices. Dell is kind of annoying, they used to sell some of their dispalys with PVA, and then changed them to TN, without changing the model #/Name. Grr.

matobinder

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Oops, in regards to my last post. The Dell monitors weren't changed from PVA to TN, they were changed from S-IPS to TN.

matobinder

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
I'm just not on my game anymore. My two previous posts are wrong. Dell didn't switch from S-IPS to TN. They switched from S-IPS to PVA. Not so horrible. I got to work today and sat down at my computer, which is a 4 head box with 4 Dell 2007FP displays. 2 are S-IPS, and 2 are PVA. I can now see a bit of a difference, but its not so bad. S-IPS still looks a little nicer. But I never noticed until I started digging into it and figure out they were different techs.

ssssss

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Too bad, I've just started using ViewSonic VX2262wm a few days ago...

As the review said, even for the untrained eyes, the colors are noticeable bad and unable to get it right through OSD, which is disappointing.

Viewing angle is bad. So bad that if you look at it at the distance closer that 30 cm, you're starting to see dark shadows on the top and the bottom of the screen. You should have keep it at 50 cm distance to see uniform color.

The responsiveness are OK, but just don't compare it to CRT.

The internal speakers are jokes. Maximum volume is relatively small compared to standard active speaker. If you turn up a little bit bass, the sound is cracking. At 100% volume setting, you can hear a little annoying static high frequency hiss/noise, even if you don't plug in the audio cable. To set it to almost unnoticeable, I can only set the volume level at around 60%. Included are the EAX virtual sound card that using up computer resources, so that there is silent moment every half a second.

In short, don't buy it because of the speaker. ViewSonic should have put the money to improve the quality of the monitor instead of installing a pair of cheap speakers.

To the credit of ViewSonic, the first unit that I ordered contained one dead subpixel. They replaced a new one for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.