Google Chairman Says Android is Already Beating iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Android > iOS (Android OS is honestly better, it has widgets, tethering, more expandability, etc.)

iTunes > whatever media player works with Android (no media player is truly made for all phones with Android, trouble with Apple's AAC (though this is Apple's attempt at preventing users from switching to other music devices or phones), iTunes however makes it easier for people with iOS to manage, safe restoring, constant updates (Kies does not keep my Galaxy S II up to date), but it's designed exclusively for iOS)

Android's community < iOS community (you basically get more apps and games in the app store of iOS, and the jailbreak community is what makes iOS competitive against Android, Android app developers are not bad, but they are lacking in the gaming industry in the mobile devices which is a factor)

Android fanboys > iPhone fanboys (iPhone or rather Apple fanboys is ignorant of competing products)

I'm not an Apple fanboy, in fact, I own a Samsung Galaxy S II and an iPod Touch, and these are how I see the competition between iOS and Android.

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
More and more articles keep citing numbers about how there are more Android units out there than iOS units. Interestingly, there has not been a corresponding presence of user comments calling Android users "sheep". When Apple dominates the market, anyone that owns their phone is a "sheep". Now that Android has taken the lead, I'm anxious to see these same people call themselves and others sheep for owning an Android handset.

This article talks about Android being a volume thing. I couldn't agree more. When I had an Android phone, the OS felt cheap, unfinished, boring, amateurish, rushed, etc. It was functional, but quite a yawner to use. To this day, I don't see what the Android hype is about. Android updates and devices are cranked out at such a break-neck speed that the latest and greatest is irrelevant (if not obsolete) within months.

Then I got an iPhone 4S. Call me a sheep ALL you want. I don't care. The device and the OS are both marvels that I actually enjoy using. It's no longer just a functional thing, it's quite enjoyable to use. A few minutes with the device made me feel like the Android phone I just dumped was a decade old (seriously). Now I DO see what the hype is about with the iPhone.

As to the chairman's remark about developers being "driven by volume", that's nice, but iPhone owners tend to be more educated and affluent, and thus more likely to actually purchase apps instead of only downloading free ones. I'm not saying that nobody purchases Android apps, but Apple leads with paid app purchases. In part, because the iPhone is actually enjoyable to use.

But anyway. I look forward to reading the "sheep" comments by those suffering a massive inferiority complex about their...cell phone...(of all things).

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
[citation][nom]dietcreamsoda[/nom]More and more articles keep citing numbers about how there are more Android units out there than iOS units. Interestingly, there has not been a corresponding presence of user comments calling Android users "sheep". When Apple dominates the market, anyone that owns their phone is a "sheep". Now that Android has taken the lead, I'm anxious to see these same people call themselves and others sheep for owning an Android handset.This article talks about Android being a volume thing. I couldn't agree more. When I had an Android phone, the OS felt cheap, unfinished, boring, amateurish, rushed, etc. It was functional, but quite a yawner to use. To this day, I don't see what the Android hype is about. Android updates and devices are cranked out at such a break-neck speed that the latest and greatest is irrelevant (if not obsolete) within months.Then I got an iPhone 4S. Call me a sheep ALL you want. I don't care. The device and the OS are both marvels that I actually enjoy using. It's no longer just a functional thing, it's quite enjoyable to use. A few minutes with the device made me feel like the Android phone I just dumped was a decade old (seriously). Now I DO see what the hype is about with the iPhone.As to the chairman's remark about developers being "driven by volume", that's nice, but iPhone owners tend to be more educated and affluent, and thus more likely to actually purchase apps instead of only downloading free ones. I'm not saying that nobody purchases Android apps, but Apple leads with paid app purchases. In part, because the iPhone is actually enjoyable to use.But anyway. I look forward to reading the "sheep" comments by those suffering a massive inferiority complex about their...cell phone...(of all things).[/citation]

Your post does not apply in reality. Apple fanboys are sheep because they will buy anything with an Apple logo on it and simultaneously remain ignorant of any competing product (thinking they have the best product because it is made by Apple).

Android fans don't care about such things. Android fans was access to the entirety of the Android OS. They want to be free to customize and tweak at their hearts desire.

The odd part is that it is the Android fans who are the "creative" ones and the Apple fans who support "Big Brother". Oh the irony.

Lmeow

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dietcreamsoda[/nom]Call me a sheep ALL you want.[/citation]

You're not a sheep if you buy the iPhone for the right reasons.

[citation][nom]dietcreamsoda[/nom]but iPhone owners tend to be more educated and affluent.[/citation]

You also forgot to mention that they're more likely to be 'creative' and more likely to be baristas.

You see, the reason why many iPhone users are called sheep is not because they are the majority, but because, like sheep, they buy Apple products mindlessly without ever considering the other many valid choices available. The Galaxy S II is a good 4S competitor, yet people choose the 4S simply because it is an Apple product, and partially because of the prestige that comes along with it. By prestige, they think that simply because it is Apple, it is the best.

I have an old 3GS and compared to my father's Galaxy S II, I also find iOS a bit easier to use, yet, Android, despite what you may consider to be a quite cheap operating system, it's more than functional for the majority of users.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
[citation][nom]ElMoIsEviL[/nom]Your post does not apply in reality. Apple fanboys are sheep because they will buy anything with an Apple logo on it and simultaneously remain ignorant of any competing product (thinking they have the best product because it is made by Apple).Android fans don't care about such things. Android fans was access to the entirety of the Android OS. They want to be free to customize and tweak at their hearts desire.The odd part is that it is the Android fans who are the "creative" ones and the Apple fans who support "Big Brother". Oh the irony.[/citation]

I'd like evidence for all the BS claims you've made. What makes you think Apple users are more Affluent and Educated? Please share your links because last I checked Apple users tend to be the idiots who don't even know how to troubleshoot even the most novice/easy of issues.

I'm not sure what you mean by all these "updates" being cranked out. I've updated to two different distro's since I obtained my Galaxy S and my Galaxy S II is now running a highly optimized variant of the Ice Cream Sandwich distro. How is that "cranked out at such a break-neck speed"?

If you mean that new phones are being released... yeah... many competitors running Android. This means more competition which results in better products that suit a larger variety of tasks and customer needs/wants.

If you think the Android OS is "cheap, unfinished, boring, amateurish, rushed, etc. It was functional, but quite a yawner to use"... really... and you're using iOS? Yeah man nobody will believe you after that line. That's like saying (all these designer bright and flashy cloths are boring, dull and mundane instead I'll just wear a Gray Sports Jacket with gray pants, a gray shirt, gray shoes, gray shoe laces etc...).

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think google android users understand the Android vs iOS debate. It's kind of like a war of ideals.

- Google believes in openness and transparency with freedom. The Democratic way.
- Apple believes in a closed environment where they have complete control (opposite of freedom) the way of Soviet Russia. You don't control the phone the phone controls you.

@dietcreamsoda You do realize that every single apple product is white. it's the most racist company on the planet. The most unoriginal of any company. None of apple's products have any kind of personality to it. It's just a white square. If you don't think apple isn't racist then why is their store completely white? They are clearly saying something.

Pyree

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ElMoIsEviL[/nom]What makes you think Apple users are more Affluent and Educated? [/citation]
Agree. My sister has a Ph.D and I am about to get my Master degree and we both use Samsung Android and my supervisors and colleagues (from post-grad to full professorship) use Window mobile, Android, Symbian more than iOS.

Pyree

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dietcreamsoda[/nom]iPhone owners tend to be more educated and affluen.[/citation]

[citation][nom]dietcreamsoda[/nom]I look forward to reading the "sheep" comments by those suffering a massive inferiority complex about their...cell phone...(of all things)[/citation]
Please stop. You are embarrassing yourself.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Android and iOS aren't in a competition so I don't see how Android can be beating Apple.

One is an open ended OS meant for anyone to grab up and use on their own hardware; the other is software meant for a specific device.

It's like someone sleeping around with a bunch of women and having like 100 kids saying he beat the married guy with 3 kids with the same woman.

Sure the guy with 100 kids propagated more but the married man is way less likely to have syphilis or herpes or many other kinds of nasty diseases.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Bout the flame war... Maybe all of you like android because the hardware is better and you can mod and tinker and whatnot, but some less tech-savvy people either have used iPhones before and don't want to learn a new OS or simply don't know what android has to offer. They're not stupid. Personally, there are a couple apps that aren't available for android yet that made the decision for me.

Pyree

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]Android and iOS aren't in a competition so I don't see how Android can be beating Apple.One is an open ended OS meant for anyone to grab up and use on their own hardware; the other is software meant for a specific device.It's like someone sleeping around with a bunch of women and having like 100 kids saying he beat the married guy with 3 kids with the same woman.Sure the guy with 100 kids propagated more but the married man is way less likely to have syphilis or herpes or many other kinds of nasty diseases.[/citation]
Funny analogy and many people prefer sleeping with a bunch of women.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I am an iPhone user but I would be open to any other OS that worked better. I really dislike Googles views on privacy and the way they don't respect peoples privacy.

I bought my father a Galaxy S 2 for his birthday and he had a Samsung Moment before that. I have the iPhone 4S. From what little I have used the two I really don't see much difference other than the fact that IOS seems a little more polished and intuitive. Seems like on Android you have to spend more time setting it up and making it efficient to use.

I hear people rave about widgets but honestly I can't stand them. They are the first thing I get rid off whether it be on a computer or a phone.

I also think that his Samsung phones feel cheap and flimsy compared to the iPhone.

A phone is a tool and I don't want something fast and efficient. For me the iPhone currently fits the bill. If that changed then I would be the first to switch platforms.

A must for me is a system like iMessage that is encrypted integrated on the phone. I don't want some third party crap.

Going back to my original concern though is Googles past statements about privacy. They simply scare me sometimes.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]Bout the flame war... Maybe all of you like android because the hardware is better and you can mod and tinker and whatnot, but some less tech-savvy people either have used iPhones before and don't want to learn a new OS or simply don't know what android has to offer. They're not stupid. Personally, there are a couple apps that aren't available for android yet that made the decision for me.[/citation]

It is pretty damned sad if your going to waste your time tinkering with a phone. It is a tool to get stuff done for 95% of the people. If you want to tinker then why not do it on a computer where it's actually kind of fun.

G

The "In Soviet Russia" joke?

In Android, you break the phone.
In iOS, the phone breaks you.

Nay that doesn't sound right.

You do have to have a very good reason to get iPhone, plus Apple itself is so stereotypical they don't care to release any budget-priced phone, normal iPhone price is no where sub-$100 full non-subsidized Android phone price. And that "educated" comment is deadly wrong 100%. iOS is of same design philosophy of Mac OS, mainly "users are ___ (your own colourful words) dumb" this I in fact witnessed myself.

Pyree

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kdw75[/nom]It is pretty damned sad if your going to waste your time tinkering with a phone. It is a tool to get stuff done for 95% of the people. If you want to tinker then why not do it on a computer where it's actually kind of fun.[/citation]
Well, people, especially from the male gender like to tinker with technology/engineering stuff whether it is a cars, bikes, remote control vehicles, computers, phones, electronics, legos, etc. They are practitioner of their a hobby art and should be respected.

Status
Not open for further replies.