Microsoft Gives a Taste of Mango on iPhones and Androids

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"demonstrating how the major features work -- like reading and "liking" Facebook feeds, answering calls, sending text messages and so on..."

Revolutionary I tell ya... Android and iPhone aint' got nothin' on this.

Maybe they should focus on the things that differentiate them, like legendary Windows reliability**

**After 2 or 3 servicepacks

jowah

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
lol @ duly_impressed. Yeah, absolutely revolutionary. I wonder why they made the demo in html5 and not their own web application framework? Oh yeah, nobody uses silverlight...

Way to go MS... turn the entire screen into a taskbar...

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
You have to give microsoft credit, they're doing very well with WP7, and producing websites like the one listed, will only bump competition further

jowah

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Agreed, competition is a good thing... But, the world has already given them billions in excessive licensing fees, and exemption from obligatory adherence to global standards... I don't have to give them credit... they are, and have always been, a disruption to the natural and elegant evolution of technology.

jowah

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I haven't used one yet; I just make fun of Microsoft by default because my faith in them erodes a little more every time I interact with their products. If and when I ever use one, I will be the first to admit that I was wrong *if* it is indeed a well made product, and it doesn't add significant cost to the device, and it uses standard protocols, and it plays nice with other information systems.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jowah[/nom]I haven't used one yet; I just make fun of Microsoft by default because my faith in them erodes a little more every time I interact with their products. If and when I ever use one, I will be the first to admit that I was wrong *if* it is indeed a well made product, and it doesn't add significant cost to the device, and it uses standard protocols, and it plays nice with other information systems.[/citation]

I'm pleased you aren't a brainwashed loony who thinks that everything Microsoft make is an evil corporate piece of rubbish.

I'm a Linux man myself, however I have taken quite a liking to WP7. It's very well made.
I do hope it takes off quickly as it has a lot of promise.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I've been using WP7 for quite some time now and just upgraded to the HTC Titan. Pretty much everyone I've shown it to that runs an iPhoney or android device has been duly impressed, after all the boring grid of icons is just EXTREMELY uninteresting and belongs 5 years in the past, NOT on a modern smartphone.
Apple for one haven't done a damn thing to advance their phones in any real meaningful way since the first one came out.

I've never had an app crash or misbehave badly while using WP7, but on my android devices it was a necessity to have a task killer located prominently on the home screen for when it inevitably screwed up.

jowah

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I'm a Linux guy too. :) Hopefully I'm not brainwashed, but maybe I am a bit of a cynic when it comes to Microsoft. It's my belief that human beings, as a species, are capable of creating things that are much better than what Microsoft produces. Unfortunately, it seems like a large number of tech users think the word "Microsoft" is synonymous with "software." I know that this sounds crazy to some people, but I truly think Microsoft stifles natural improvement to an extent. Not unlike the way Wal-Mart stifles the free market. The general reasons for my diminishing respect for Microsoft are...

-Non-standard and MS proprietary protocols are ubiquitous in their software, which makes interfacing with it unnecessarily problematic. (e.g. compare Exchange/Outlook to Zimbra Collaboration Suite)

-Everything leads to another license (e.g. CALs)

-Flawed and limited logic in software (e.g. compare Visio to LucidChart)

-Many Microsoft products are just plain unstable, but nobody notices because it's always been that way.

-Its expensive for no good reason

-Everybody uses it, because everybody uses it... that's a loop... and loops are bad

I don't like to be cynical, but after so many years of this... it just gets old.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Test it with my HTC Desire....doesn't seems to work properly. All i know i have one vendor who regrets getting the phone due to many limitations. But maybe Mango fixed this. Anyway, i am not impressed...it's diffrent, but doesn't mean it's better. Just looks boring and the tiles kills all possibility of cool design and live wall paper. No thanks. I am sticking to my Android.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
My main issue is that MS and partners seem to be dropping the ball in regards to hardware. It is nearly Christmas (THE ideal time for new phones to come out) and yet we barely have the Nokia Lumia 800 and as much as I was looking forward to it and still 'like' it, there are much better and more powerful phones out there.
I have been putting off getting a new phone and it looks like I'll be waiting a little longer. I want to compare Android against WP7 when WP7 has a device that can compete with the HTC Sensation XL/XE or the Samsung Galaxy SII.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]My main issue is that MS and partners seem to be dropping the ball in regards to hardware. It is nearly Christmas (THE ideal time for new phones to come out) and yet we barely have the Nokia Lumia 800 and as much as I was looking forward to it and still 'like' it, there are much better and more powerful phones out there.I have been putting off getting a new phone and it looks like I'll be waiting a little longer. I want to compare Android against WP7 when WP7 has a device that can compete with the HTC Sensation XL/XE or the Samsung Galaxy SII.[/citation]

If Microsoft can make Mango run on 1GHZ single-core CPU's, why would they throw in anything bigger that drains the battery more quickly?

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
This was a really neat idea on Microsoft's part.

I've been keen on leaving Android in the past - using it for 6 months or so was enough for me to decide it's not for me.

This just makes me far more keen for a WP7 Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.