Google to Charge for Heavy Google Maps API Use in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

dillonpeterliam

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Well played Google, well played. I think its fair, I mean how much money did it cost them to have all them cars out taking the street view pics, and then putting it all together.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
People abusing a free service reined in. Fair to say the least.

It's a misleading title though, as I imagine anyone reading would be worried their domestic service may be interrupted.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
this is just the begining. next they'll charge for using google docs, google music, youtube, for deleting all the private info they store(although they will keep a secret back up) and so on....

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
TBH trip advisor can hardly be said to be abusing google maps. Its simply a rival product since google maps does offer a similar feature. The cost of hosting etc can't be cheap and like youtube they probably make heavy looses with it being free. I guess you can't blame them for wanting to charge, its just their intentions that need to be checked. This could be a win for bing maps tho, if site designers are clever they could spread the load across the two.

G

its not realy a secret backup. read your terms & policies, as they say it is backed up off-site, old data is offline. can you realy see the sense in firing up old backup data just to remove data, for a free service to those people and you said in the agreement that backed up data wont be erased unless its becomes to old and gets disposed of by the company.

and you wont be able to scrub a guy just by erasing one piece.... no you have to have the whole thing setup before it can be fully erased.

G

@de5_roy
And why not, I believe Google is probably the largest company that offers most services for free.
But then again... I am certain if you were Mr. Google you would offer everything for free and give away all the money you have :D .

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]expiredwindex[/nom]@de5_royAnd why not, I believe Google is probably the largest company that offers most services for free.But then again... I am certain if you were Mr. Google you would offer everything for free and give away all the money you have .[/citation]

And yet they made more than 8 billion dollars profit last year. Net profit margin close to 30%.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dillonpeterliam[/nom]Well played Google, well played. I think its fair, I mean how much money did it cost them to have all them cars out taking the street view pics, and then putting it all together.[/citation]
Probably less than the money they got selling the data they mined in the process of stealing SSID's and email passwords whilst those cars were only supposed to be taking pictures.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Probably less than the money they got selling the data they mined in the process of stealing SSID's and email passwords whilst those cars were only supposed to be taking pictures.[/citation]
You can't really steal openly broadcasting SSIDs, as for the data... well the AP were completely OPEN no security at all anyone can do it if they have no security. Were they mapping APs? yea they were for location information, ever notice how without GPS or mobile on they still know where you are on Maps? that is what they use SSIDs for the other info was mostly scooped up accidentally cause people are too stupid to turn on WPA on routers.

banthracis

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]they should charge them less... i mean you can't go from free to $10,000 a year. Thats like what BOA did..[/citation]

In the corporate world, $10,000 a year is the equivalent of 1 step up from free. Heck, a company pays more that that per year just for fringe benefits for a single employee.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]expiredwindex[/nom]@de5_royAnd why not, I believe Google is probably the largest company that offers most services for free.But then again... I am certain if you were Mr. Google you would offer everything for free and give away all the money you have .[/citation]

personaly, i would put ads in the map, like local buisnesses when you get close enough, and tourist spots when you are far away,

lets say you are looking at an entire country, you see huge tourist spots that vacation companys what you to see

get to about a state level, you see many of tha main attractions, like a theme park, or sense its halloween (close enough) you would see the major halloween locations, like massive haunted houses, or corn mazes.

get to the county level, and you get ads from the major places, like a mall, wallmart, and places to eat.

go to a town level and you see the mom and pop places to eat, and more detailed places to shop.

thats just how i would do it, because per 1000, 3-10$ is the average payout you get from google with ads, not sure what their take is.

[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]they should charge them less... i mean you can't go from free to $10,000 a year. Thats like what BOA did..[/citation]

from free, to chargeing money for the most usefull service that most places could ever get... lets say you have 125000 people a month, 25k of them are free so you have 100 units left at lets say 10$ a head that comes to 1000$ a month, or 12000$ a year. at that point it would make more sense to get a flat rate than a ajustable.

now we are talking about companies that loseing 1 million is like us dropping a penny.

[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]You can't really steal openly broadcasting SSIDs, as for the data... well the AP were completely OPEN no security at all anyone can do it if they have no security. Were they mapping APs? yea they were for location information, ever notice how without GPS or mobile on they still know where you are on Maps? that is what they use SSIDs for the other info was mostly scooped up accidentally cause people are too stupid to turn on WPA on routers.[/citation]

not stupid, just isnt worth the pain it is setting it up for me.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]You can't really steal openly broadcasting SSIDs, as for the data... well the AP were completely OPEN no security at all anyone can do it if they have no security. Were they mapping APs? yea they were for location information, ever notice how without GPS or mobile on they still know where you are on Maps? that is what they use SSIDs for the other info was mostly scooped up accidentally cause people are too stupid to turn on WPA on routers.[/citation]
So for what purpose was a car taking pictures gathering and storing SSIDs and email passwords? Even if they were openly broadcast there is NO reason to gather them.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]dillonpeterliam[/nom]Well played Google, well played. I think its fair, I mean how much money did it cost them to have all them cars out taking the street view pics, and then putting it all together.[/citation]
Flawed point of view. Google is not a public service provider that invest its own money to provide people with a product/service, people, as in you and I, are the byproducts, the "end-product" actually of their primary business: advertising licenses. Have you ever wondered how is it possible that they are a multi-billion dollar company and yet those using their search engines, browsers, etc don't pay for them? ... think about that one please. They are selling something that somebody is paying good money for - and if it's not us paying for their stuff, then who is? And what is it that they are selling?

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Leaves a nice opening for Bing Maps...lol...Google is going to start charging more and more for crap, as they are investing millions and getting back thousands!

Status
Not open for further replies.