Amazon: Yes, We Know You'll Root Our Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
This is excellent. I wish more companies were like this, where it isn't encouraged, but they turn their head when it does happen.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]This is excellent. I wish more companies were like this, where it isn't encouraged, but they turn their head when it does happen.[/citation]
*stares at sony*

seriously, if my hp touchpad doesn't come in, i think ill throw in my cash for some amazon love. subscribe and save baby!

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Why are all of these mobile devices sticking with 512MB RAM? With how cheap it is, why have they not increased this? More memory should have come before dual core or more, how do you expect to multitask if you are constantly low/out of memory?

G

There would be absolutely no reason to root the Fire. It would become totally useless. The device supports 8gb of on board memory. About 2gb will be taken by the Android operating system, and another 1gb set aside for apps. Without Amazons cloud backing it, you'd have only 5gb of usable memory at best. Plus rooting it would be a total pain because the only way to root would be by using the foreign method of adb through the usb cord. And you need dedicated developers.

If your sole purpose for this tablet is to root it, why not just get a Nook Color? It would be easier, the rooted OS is a year into development, and can be found at a cheaper price

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Congratulations for being miles better than the rest WRT 3rd party OSes (3POs).

But why not go that insy little bit further and actually be perfect (WRT 3POs) - be like a PC, laptop, etc: Claim that 3POs are totally acceptable and advertise this as a feature, perhaps even offer support (although obviously not for the chosen 3PO unless you want to).

G

@FatAlbert
"About 2gb will be taken by the Android operating system"

That line alone says you have no idea what you're talking about.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
My Galaxy SPICA has only 200MB Storage. If, according to @FatAlbert, Android needs 2GB, what OS is it running ?

In fact, Android needs only a couple MBs. If I am not wrong, it is only around 50MB.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
This is not Amazon main business but an opportunity for both sides and why they provide you with such a benefit. But is not realistic to think many companies will begin to give you hardware almost at production cost and let you do anything with it.

All in all this is how it is and I think Amazon is very smart doing such an aggressive move. I also find the K-Fire very appealing and I think this is going to produce a turning point in the entire tablet market where other players will need to redefine their business in the same size and price segment.

G

Are they serious with this title? I'm from Australia and I'm absolutely horrified at the thought of rooting a tablet.

G

My rooted (honeycomb) Nook Color is OK.... but dual-core does sound much better..

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]*stares at sony*seriously, if my hp touchpad doesn't come in, i think ill throw in my cash for some amazon love. subscribe and save baby![/citation]

Connect the cable you use to charge to a pc. It should recognize it as a storage device. If you need more Google is your friend.

aritai

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
re: a rooted fire.

Does this mean we'll all have access to the certificates required to get free use of at&t wifi hotspots RSN?

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
For $200 that's a great deal, even better that Amazon isn't going to do anything stupid to keep people from rooting it. I'd still prefer a larger screen though and I think I'll hold out for the Asus Transformer 2, but these are priced well so I'm sure they'll be very popular.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]fgujtedu[/nom]Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in. Welcome to ==== http://www.abcneed.com ==Air Jordan (1-24) shoes $35UGG BOOT $50Nike shox =[/citation]
fyi according to who.is
who.is

www.abcneed.com
is chinese
the billing , techinical contact and administrative contact is

weihua yang
ywh780210 at 163 d0t com
0594-6250888 fx: 0594-6250333
chengxiangqu
putian fujian 351100
cn

registrant is
linping
ping lin
woshihe85 at hotmail d0t com
0594-6458979 fx: 0594-6458922
chengxiangqu
putian fujian 351100
cn

just incase you've got a product enquirey

timeraner

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
[citation][nom]DZ621[/nom]Are they serious with this title? I'm from Australia and I'm absolutely horrified at the thought of rooting a tablet.[/citation]
[citation][nom]AidanJC[/nom]Root means something a little different where i come from =\[/citation]

"Root" does not mean intercourse :p

Status
Not open for further replies.