First Preview: Internet Explorer 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
Neat! Most of the improvements look like they could be ported to other browsers. The crisper font rendering and rounded boxes look sweet.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Chrome made my life a lot easier... no crashing, simple interface and lots of eye candy functions... am not going back even if it's faster than chrome.
am sure Firefox users won't either.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Tom's[/nom]To show that it’s a test version rather than a full new browser, the icon is a greyed-out version of the familiar IE logo[/citation]
And here I was just thinking IE felt a little gloomy and down today...

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Hum did i not see something HTML5 support :( DXVA and text smoothing is quite nice but skipping html5 is not allowed! down with Adobe's Flash that horrible little thing that is practically 99% used for annoying ads

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]Hum did i not see something HTML5 support DXVA and text smoothing is quite nice but skipping html5 is not allowed! down with Adobe's Flash that horrible little thing that is practically 99% used for annoying ads[/citation]
And you think HTML5 won't be used for the same thing???

G

Be that as it may HTML5 might actually bring some good with it, without being an unreasonable drain on available hardware resources.

nerdherd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Haha, so speed-wise instead of being in fourth place by a long shot, they will be in fourth place just by a little bit :) That's funny.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Firefox developers have started applying the same rendering techniques for 3.7 (experimental builds are available), simply by adding a Direct2D Cairo backend (thus, all Cairo-based browsers may use it sooner or later), and they are now debugging it (it's functionally complete).

Firefox 3.7 (Minefield) already gets 96/100 on Acid3 (with html5 and SMIL activated), and has no more graphical glitches (some other browsers get higher scores, but don't match the reference rendering yet). This won't be backported to 3.6, which is already too advanced for such a patch.

Other platforms won't see the technology, because it's MS-only (but they have other equivalent technologies available).

A project to 'bottle' Firefox tabs has started too; for now, it's only the equivalent of spawning several Firefox processes in a single UI, but the goal is to dissociate the rendering threads, network stacks and UI process from each others.

What I'd really enjoy from IE 9: DOM 2 and SVG support.

G

I don't believe there's such a thing as IE9 any more.
This demo is nothing but a bunch of pictures than anyone could throw together using PowerPoint.
Now if they would have made a download of the IE9 beta available to developers, like they promised, that would have been something. But they never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.