Facebook Wants to End Anonymity on Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Now they're asking Anonymous to attack... I guess goodbye facebook?

G

What, no-one has made an affirmation about needing to remove anonymity on the web while not signed or using a weird username? Geez, the people who read this article must be boring...

G

Now it's official: I really hope Anonymous is serious and they really do take down Facebook

onlymeworld

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
The real issues most people have today about privacy is the amount of information these sites are collecting about its users, the way this information is being collected, and how this information is being used. With all this information social networking sites today have about it’s users, add a real name, add an email, and add facial recognition, not only do people loose their privacy, they also expose themselves to cyber crimes, and predatory advertising & manipulation, etc., Regardless of what sites today promise regarding security, any site can be hacked. An example would the government & banks who have so called state of the art security systems. Social networking sites such as Google+ & Facebook are open door gold mines for cyber criminals. The obvious solution to address these security problems is simple, no real names, no emails. You don’t need a real name and an email address to social network effectively yet with some anonymity, you need this information to sell to advertisers & companies, you also need this information to sell someday to private interest, governments, companies, etc.,Although only 20% complete and still in Beta, ONLYMEWORLD early on seems to realize that respecting its users Privacy Rights is paramount to both longevity & success in the industry. Their platform is similiar to Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Linkedin, yet differ because of their approach to privacy by not asking for real names, and email addresses. ONLYMEWORLD, does not have nor will it ever have Facial Recognition Software!

hungrybear

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
That's such a narrow-minded view. What about people in totalitarian countries that write and blog and speak out against the government. Or people that participate in peer groups such as AA or LGBT groups that might not be ready to attach their names to their online profiles. Sometimes anonymity is a matter of protecting or preserving the ability of free speech.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
It really bothers the marketing director when they can't be sure the names they're selling to advertisers are real or not. How can they inform you of the breakthroughs in penis enlargement if they can't get a hold of you?

Anonymous wants you to remember the 5th of November.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Having all your info on facebook out there for all to see any time you say something over the internet isn't going to stop cyber bullying...it then just is bullying which happens face to face all the time.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
The free speech afforded by the anonymity of the internet is arguably the greatest benefit the internet as a whole provides. It gives one the ability to have an honest conversation without having to be paranoid of violating social with every word you say. I don't just mean swearing, but ideas which might get you in trouble where you live, even if it's a first world country.

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Facebook already has everyone's information anyway who is on it. They are just waiting on an excuse to release it. They never really "delete" it.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Sounds like Facebook is advocating for real life bullying rather than cyber bullying. The only thing that showing real names will do to curb trolls is if people fear real life consequences, and people will only fear that if it indeed does start happening.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
"The use of real names online could help curb bullying and harassment on the web," she told the audience. "I think anonymity on the Internet has to go away. People behave a lot better when they have their real names down. I think people hide behind anonymity and they feel like they can say whatever they want behind closed doors.

- Randi Zuckerberg, the sister of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg "

Randi, did you wake up stupid and arrogant or did you bang your head?

Did you ever...ever..EVER! stop to realise that for many people, bullying and harassment results when their identity is disclosed? Did it knock ring any bells in that seemingly cobweb-ridden brain of yours, that some many people would otherwise be tortured and killed for the crime of thought? Did it ever register any brain cells, that anonymity can also breed creative talent? Creative media? Freedom of expression?

Finally, here's something to oil the rusty bits. When someone knows my name, where I live and who I mingle with - when they know it just by accessing the web - it automatically makes me a target for stalking. Your stupid narrow-minded fantasy I feel, opens up the flood-gates to every sick, depraved pervert, pedophile, robber, stalker, terrorist and murdering scum on the face of the planet. For what you are proposing is a phone book of targets that can be easily accessed and traced.

Screw you and your Big Brother propaganda. People like YOU are the reason people like ME don't sign up the Face Book in the first place, the reason why I don't sign up the Google+, the reason I use all manner of fakery (ooh, the nerve), to ensure my views propagate free speach. What do you want: to find out who I am from this text, then to come round my house under some corporate-funded directive and declare me a criminal? Because that seems to be what you're shoveling.

Your cure is far, far worse than the disease. Shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.