Samsung Responds to Apple's Galaxy Tab Block in EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyree

Distinguished
"the order was issued without any hearing or presentation of evidence from Samsung. "
How can the court do that? How can Apple apply so much pressure to interfere the legal process?

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Next thing we will hear is that Ford has gone to court to stop Nissan from importing cars into the EU because they both use the internal combustion engine *rolls eyes*

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
At least in Europe you can vote for someone who intends to fix these things.
In the US you can either vote for the pro-stupid-patent-party or the party-for-stupid-patents.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Up Apple's... their pitiful product isn't anywhere close to Galaxy S smartphones. Don't know about tablets, but something tells me it's the same thing there.

At any rate, you can't ban a product just because it's similar to Apple's. There are no "intellectual rights" here... it's not like only Apple is allowed to make tablets just because they [allegedly] made the first one. With that kind of ideology, we'd still be in Stone Age because nobody could implement new tech due to "intellectual rights" (NOTE; Apple doesn't just get upset because some particular part of their 'innovative product' was copied, they try to eliminate EVERYONE who just makes the same type of product!).

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Steve Jobs is scared to death that someone will walk into Best Buy, buy an iPad only to realize after they get home that the unit has Android installed on it and find that Android kicks the pants off of iOS. This is such an incredibly easy mistake for even the most hard core Apple fans to make.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hmm, I wonder why the courts in EU want to monopolize products. It is just a horrible decision for consumers.

So I'm guessing the iPad is the only tablet available in EU?

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
What a load of crap. If I were Samsung, Id start withholding shipments of the critical parts Apple needs. I bet that would get their attention.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
"The request for injunction was filed with no notice to Samsung, and the order was issued without any hearing or presentation of evidence from Samsung. "

So much for the innocent until proven otherwise. Seems like the so called court got a hefty bonus paid to them. No hearing in cases like this just proves how f-ked up the justice system is, if it can even be called that!

n00bxqb

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]What a load of crap. If I were Samsung, Id start withholding shipments of the critical parts Apple needs. I bet that would get their attention.[/citation]
iTards would still buy iPads even if they didn't have any screens or DRAM ...

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Again, if the product is as good as Apple says, why should they need to do this? What is wrong with their product, what don't they want us to know? Is it *gasp* a bad product? No, heresy! Apple products are always the best, right? That can't be it!
/sarcasm

G

would like to see Samsung stop suppling Apple the key parts to the ipad, etc.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
There are similarities between Samsung's TouchWiz-skin and iOS design-wise. That the judge has a problem with that is stupid but at least understandable.

However, the Android software running underneath TouchWiz is completely different from iOS and the physical hardware is also anything but a knock off of the iPad.

This is stupid and draconic and shows that the European patent system is almost as broken as the American one.

Why can't they do what they did with MS (which was a just measure): don't block the entire product, just require them to get rid of the offending component. Let them sell Galaxy Tabs without TouchWiz if you must, but don't block sales alltogether.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Now that Samsung has dropped micro SD card slot, canät saz I feel for them.
Oh, and 1 USD => 1 Euro concept is a way to go Samsung, thank you.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]This is stupid and draconic and shows that the European patent system is almost as broken as the American one. Why can't they do what they did with MS (which was a just measure): don't block the entire product, just require them to get rid of the offending component. Let them sell Galaxy Tabs without TouchWiz if you must, but don't block sales alltogether.[/citation]
We don't know if this has anything to do with patents, or do we?

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]We don't know if this has anything to do with patents, or do we?[/citation]

Afaik it's because Apple are crying Samsung is using squares with curved edges on them for buttons. Apparently, customers won't know the difference between the two or something. It's a ridiculous claim.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]Afaik it's because Apple are crying Samsung is using squares with curved edges on them for buttons. Apparently, customers won't know the difference between the two or something. It's a ridiculous claim.[/citation]
It seems so, sort of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_design

on the grounds of an alleged infringement of Apple's iPad-related [European] Community design no. 000181607-0001.

G

Apple definition: A horrendous company that has somehow managed to stay afloat for years and appeal to a mass of misguided people. They specialize in taking existing technology, making it all shiny and fancy looking, and re-selling it for double the price. Ironically, their slogan is "Think Different".

Status
Not open for further replies.