GE Still Working on Holographic Disc Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]True innovation but money should be put elsewhere[/citation]

harddrives, no matter how convent, will always be a crappy storage medium, due to cost, size, and data being destroyed easily.

where as any optical disc could get down to the 1$ range, and under easily.

if i wanted to do a full system backup, i would get 2 harddrives, and than dvds/blu rays for the most important data, because its cheaper.

these holo discs, once the tech gets out there for the pc, will probably cost at most 10$ a disc, show my the 500gb hdd or ssd that is 10$.

the drive itself will cost close to a grand at launch, and slowly get down the the 2-400$ range, and will pay for itself after 15 discs are burned.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]harddrives, no matter how convent, will always be a crappy storage medium, due to cost, size, and data being destroyed easily. where as any optical disc could get down to the 1$ range, and under easily. if i wanted to do a full system backup, i would get 2 harddrives, and than dvds/blu rays for the most important data, because its cheaper. these holo discs, once the tech gets out there for the pc, will probably cost at most 10$ a disc, show my the 500gb hdd or ssd that is 10$. the drive itself will cost close to a grand at launch, and slowly get down the the 2-400$ range, and will pay for itself after 15 discs are burned.[/citation]

My personal experience tells a different story. For me, hard drives are way more reliable than any optical medium I had my data stored in, and hard drive's read and access speeds are much higher and they're also easily rewritable and not prone to losing as an optical disc. That said, holo discs will have a place in this world in the form of lossless video and audio for better movie playbacks and some mission-critical backups for some, but comparing those to hard drives is apples and oranges.

jkenah

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Please input our website

free shipping

=== http://www.jordanforworld.com ====

HONESTY GUARANTEE!!

jordan shoes $32,

watches price 75$

nike shox $32

Christan Audigier bikini $23

Ed Hardy Bikini $23

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15

ed hardy short_tank_woman $16

watches price 75$

http://www.jordanforworld.com ========

The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes,

like the nike,jordan,prada,also including the jeans,prada,

shirts,bags,hat and the decorations.

And also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment,

can ship within short time.

Sandal $32

lv,gucci,Sunglass $15

COACH_Necklace $27

lv,gucci,handbag $33

AF tank woman $17 .

puma slipper woman $30

watches price 75$

=== http://www.jordanforworld.com ===

Pyree

Distinguished
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]My personal experience tells a different story. For me, hard drives are way more reliable than any optical medium I had my data stored in, and hard drive's read and access speeds are much higher and they're also easily rewritable and not prone to losing as an optical disc. That said, holo discs will have a place in this world in the form of lossless video and audio for better movie playbacks and some mission-critical backups for some, but comparing those to hard drives is apples and oranges.[/citation]

Agree. Apart from accidenttly dropping your HDD or your HDD is crappy from the start, HDD are that is good to begin with last you quite a long time. I am using multiple HDD with docking and they are just stored in a drawer and gets swap around and no problem at all after 2 years. In contrast with DVD, they are much faster read and write and DVD get scratches no matter how careful I look after it. A scratch on a cd is usually not fatal but on a dual layer DVD it is almost always dead. I suppose a scratch will almost be certain instant death for holo disk because of the high density per area.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Peek into the future:

Oh shoot... My 500 GB holodisc got scratched a little and now 90 GB is unreadable :((

Yes I know it will come in the protective cassette of some kind (it won't be just "naked" disc) but that will add to bulkiness. Portable hard drives (2.5'' which power themselves via USB) are still FTW!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
HDD's are excellent choice for bulk storage and backups, if the media price of writable/re-writable media gets down there will be a market for that too. Todays Blueray writable media are too expencive and i have a feeling Sony made sure of that due to their owning a portion of the film/music industry and feared piracy so they made the choice for you!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]harddrives, no matter how convent, will always be a crappy storage medium, due to cost, size, and data being destroyed easily. where as any optical disc could get down to the 1$ range, and under easily. if i wanted to do a full system backup, i would get 2 harddrives, and than dvds/blu rays for the most important data, because its cheaper. these holo discs, once the tech gets out there for the pc, will probably cost at most 10$ a disc, show my the 500gb hdd or ssd that is 10$. the drive itself will cost close to a grand at launch, and slowly get down the the 2-400$ range, and will pay for itself after 15 discs are burned.[/citation]
It's all about cost per GB and convenience of access, weighed against the current top optical solution hard drive are massively cheaper per GB and are re-usable and the transfer rate is a lot faster.

By the time a commercially available 1TB holograpghic disk is available there will be 10TB hard drives knocking about and a 1TB drive will be bargain basement stuff.

Chances are SSDs will be up in that kind of storage size by then too and a new connection medium other than SATA will need to be used to cope with the undoubted fantastic speeds of the day and if they have any sense it will be as simple as eSATA is now where a 2.5" drive can be plugged in like a big flash drive.

So it's good that they are researching the medium but there is a lot more money, time and brains going into SSD and HDD tech and it is advancing much faster.

Bluray will be the last mainstream optical media.

americanbrian

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
See when the density of data gets so large, won't there be problems when a speck of dust covers 100's of MB of data? a tiny scratch might make it completely unusable.

I think it is time for cartridges again (with the discs sealed inside them).

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]spookie[/nom]I bet the reader alone is going to cost more than a good pc...[/citation]
And the writer will be triple the price...

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Any type of optical disc is unreliable and old technology. I don't care if they make a 1000TB optical disc. Would you really want to store a lot of important information on a disc that can easily be scratched and ruined? Optical discs are a thing of the past so why try and push there limits any further? Move on to reliable and more innovative technologies, and leave optical discs behind to rot with all the floppy's and CD-R's.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]spookie[/nom]I bet the reader alone is going to cost more than a good pc...[/citation]
Initially they all start out costing a fortune. Eventually the prices will drop. I bought my first DVD burner for about $175 it was an awesome deal at the time when only a few months earlier they typically cost about $300. Today the are $15 - $20.
BluRay burners haven't gone down far enough in price for me to want one...

PLUS...
Flash memory is faster and can be written to over and over again. I can get a 32GB flash drive that will likely hold anything I want it to (Sure it's not 50GB but close enough for me). The computer I transfer the files to doesn't need a BlueRay drive to read the files either. Just the good old USB port.

But perhaps they are thinking about taking over Sony's market and making the next movie disk for ultra HD movies. On the other hand I think digital distribution will be the winner. I already watch TV shows and movies in HD via online streaming services.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
this post is for the people saying that scratching the Holo-Disc im not sure is any of you know this but with that much data being stored holography might just warrant the return of an older tech i've seen them only a few times what happens is the disc CD/DVD at the time and now BR or Holo disc get put into a case of it's own that looks and functions much like a floppy Disc when you insert it into the drive the drive simply opens the cartridge and reads and or Burns to the Disc before the disc is ejected it's closed now unless someone is really really careless you will never get anything but microscopic scratches on the disc now back when i saw that i was told they were not really practical and cost like 15 bux per cartridge now that was before DVD Burners and i would have to say once we are putting 500GB to 1TB onto a Disc it becomes more practical because really how many of the Holo D will you really need

Status
Not open for further replies.