Xbox 360 is More Powerful Than Space Shuttle Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is so incredibly old - you do not need a gaming tier computer or render farm to operate a shuttle.

The military also uses old computers for many tasks. Use the right tool for the right job.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I am sure they kept building and using the same old computer so that the Government contractor who built it could keep supplying replacement parts for it for a million dollars per part, rather than just going out and spending 300 bucks on a new computer that is 10 times stronger.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I remember hearing once that my TI-84 graphing calculator was more powerful than the computer that landed the Apollo 11 shuttle on the moon. If that's true, this certainly doesn't surprise me.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
As far as I know, spacecraft computers were never 'strong'... the Moon crafts had like 128KB RAM or something? Don't remember the exact number, just know it was ridiculously small. So, most likely, even a P4 is more powerful than a space shuttle computer.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Well, the computer onboard the space shuttle is custom built and designed specifically for it. This isn't a your typical PC that you can buy, even 30 years ago. Despite it's age it's pretty damn reliable for running that long.

Some missions today are using standard off the shelf stuff. Look at the success of the rover missions on Mars.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the space hubble is still being powered by an old 486 processor. Pretty advanced for it's time, very obsolete by today's standards.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
The project manager on the Mars rover project spoke at my college a few years ago and explained why the rovers have relatively old and "underpowered" computing resources: chips that were designed to run just fine on earth may be too easily damaged in drastically different environmental conditions of space and other planets, and that older technology is actually hardier and less likely to be damaged by things like vastly more intense cosmic rays. While that's not exactly the same situation as the space shuttles, there were probably similar concerns with them.

Considering how complicated a shuttle launch is, I would stick with a tried-and-true method.

G

The real question is if the shuttle has an app store and who is it backing in the HTML5 vs Flash debate?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Even my PS3 is years ahead of the 360, but it doesn't mean ****, after all both platforms are only good as the games that you play on them.

nekoangel

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Doesnt the space shuttle use 486's. I remember years back NASA was looking to buy more new in box 486's for the shuttle as their supply was getting short.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]Well, the computer onboard the space shuttle is custom built and designed specifically for it. This isn't a your typical PC that you can buy, even 30 years ago. Despite it's age it's pretty damn reliable for running that long. Some missions today are using standard off the shelf stuff. Look at the success of the rover missions on Mars. So I wouldn't be surprised if the space hubble is still being powered by an old 486 processor. Pretty advanced for it's time, very obsolete by today's standards.[/citation]Likely correct. It's fault-tolerant and probably uses relatively large die features so as to limit the effect of cosmic rays. It's also radiation-hardened.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
The only programs their computers run are trajectory simulations and real time updates of those courses. It's not like they need a 1080p display of a white line on a black background...

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
"So, most likely, even a P4 is more powerful than a space shuttle computer."
They were contracted in the early 70's and first started to fly in early 80s /first one was Columbia in 81st if I am not wrong. Originally were equipped with 8086 processors as I remember. So they were WAY less powerfull as a P4 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.