Google Android Now on 135 Million Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Somewhere north of 225 million iOS devices and 16 billion apps. At their current rate of increase Android OS will probably catch up to iOS units by the end of the year or early next year depending on how Apples much sales continue to grow during the same time period.

It's important to note that Googles numbers are all Android devices, from smartphone and feature phones, tablets, e-readers, printers, music players, automobile information centers, etc. Every last thing Android gets put on. All those things are at 135 million units combined.

Apple has the smartphone, touch music player, tablet and apple tv in their 225+ million units

Google might sell 35-40 million units this quarter compared to Apples 25 million units but they really only gain on Apple by 15-20 million units per quarter currently so it takes awhile for them to come even and then pull ahead.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Just to throw a snide comment out there (and probably get downrated massively) but notice how all the Google successes listed are now purely Google products; they were either bought out or have significant contributions from an external company.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Eddieroolz[/nom]Just to throw a snide comment out there (and probably get downrated massively) but notice how all the Google successes listed are now purely Google products; they were either bought out or have significant contributions from an external company.[/citation]

Google is a young company and its primary business is advertising. Google is not IBM with 100 years of patents. So I don't see what's wrong with that? Apple and Microsoft and all other Biggies also buy small companies when they see a potential.

For now I see Google as much less evil and useful company than Mircrosoft or Apple.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
It's good to see Google along with its partners are fighting the good fight against Apple and their iphones and winning. I read a report on Dailytech that Android is out selling iOS by a ratio of 2 to 1 (strange this wasn't reported by Toms) and Apple have stuck a writ on HTC to prevent them from shipping phones to the US (Googles biggest partner). No doubt HTC will hit back with writ of their own at some point down the line but the future looks nasty as companies strive for market share.

G

Eddieroolz: I'm guessing you don't like Google, and haven't looked to see how much that same statement applies to Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, Intel, AMD, all 70+ makers of ARM CPUs, and pretty much every other successful software or hardware company.

In fact, Google is probably one of the most innovative companies without their acquisitions, they've engineered all kinds of quality products without buying them from others. Heck, Microsoft bought MS-DOS from another company in pretty much the same shape it was released, Android wasn't much to look at pre-Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.