Samsung X360 Clouds Apple Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Samsung has been one of major players of notebook game in Korea. They also supplied some models to Compaq for US market.

G

>>and buying it is about status — not value or practicality

You're obviously an idiot! Because not having to worry about viruses and having a better user interface as well as a real Unix system, yes, I'm a Unix/Linux developer, are all obviously not about practicality! There can be even additional reasons. For example my home and workplace is Microsoft free which means that I'd have to add yet another O/S to what I already have to deal with so far, if I picked anything with Windows on it. But as you so insightfully put it: my choices are "about status — not value or practicality."

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Johannes[/nom]>>and buying it is about status — not value or practicalityYou're obviously an idiot! Because not having to worry about viruses and having a better user interface as well as a real Unix system, yes, I'm a Unix/Linux developer, are all obviously not about practicality! There can be even additional reasons. For example my home and workplace is Microsoft free which means that I'd have to add yet another O/S to what I already have to deal with so far, if I picked anything with Windows on it. But as you so insightfully put it: my choices are "about status — not value or practicality."[/citation]
Hi Johannes,

Thanks for your comment, though I would appreciate if readers instituted a ban on name-calling. If you read my review carefully, you'd see that my review specified that a purchase of the MacBook Air is about status--not that a purchase of ANY Apple is about status. Does this opinion make me an idiot?

I think we can all agree that the Air is an overpriced product--that doesn't mean that people shouldn't buy it if they like it. If someone really wants to be *practical* while at the same time staying away from Windows, there are plenty of better options than the MacBook Air.

thanks,

Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide

G

"to enter the notebook
business for the very first time,"

May be for the US, but definitely not in Korea. My Korean friend already used Samsung laptop for many years now.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Gateaux[/nom]"to enter the notebookbusiness for the very first time,"May be for the US, but definitely not in Korea. My Korean friend already used Samsung laptop for many years now.[/citation]
Good point--I definitely meant the U.S. notebook market!

Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide

oritpro

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Thanks for a great article Rachel and I agree that the Air is an overpriced status symbol. What I don't agree with is the previous comment that OSX and Linux provide a worry free environment that is safe from viruses. That is just simply not true and the people that believe it are either kidding themselves or too ignorant to know better.

OSX, Linux, and Windows have their pros and cons, and all are excellent operating systems in their own right. But there is no such thing a completely secure operating system.

Thanks for the heads-up on the x360. Although the timing isn't great, Samsung makes some quality stuff and their new notebook should give the competition a run for its money.

G

I don't think the voodoo envy has a built in optical drive. It comes with an external one

G

Rachel I think the envy does not have a built in optical drive, mnemneth has a point. Anyway great article. For me the carbon finish of the Envy makes it a far better choice than the AIR.
@Johannes: You might be a unix developer but you are a rude one and you lack the manners normally associated with one of your skill(not to say an Apple user).

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mnemneth[/nom]I don't think the voodoo envy has a built in optical drive. It comes with an external one[/citation]
Thanks, fact-checking, and correcting.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
But because the X360 has an uber-efficient flash-based SSD, somehow we were expecting a longer battery life through BatteryEater

I don't know the specs of this hard drive SSD but most SSD drives consumes more energy overall because they have a higher power consumption at idle or low workload. Of course I suppose the BatteryEater suite also utilizes the HDD so maybe that point is irrelevant here.

Anyway, this is a very sexy machine and I'm wishing Samsung a lot of success in the U.S. notebook market.

G

Hey Johannes, maybe you should calm down and actually read the article outside your elitist attitude. Put the handheld mirror down for few minutes and apologize to Rachel Rosmarin for your rude behavior. She was obviously refering to the Air machine, not the operating system. You should be nicer because your anger and elitist attitude is going to land you in bad places one day.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]oritpro[/nom]Thanks for a great article Rachel and I agree that the Air is an overpriced status symbol. What I don't agree with is the previous comment that OSX and Linux provide a worry free environment that is safe from viruses. That is just simply not true and the people that believe it are either kidding themselves or too ignorant to know better.OSX, Linux, and Windows have their pros and cons, and all are excellent operating systems in their own right. But there is no such thing a completely secure operating system.Thanks for the heads-up on the x360. Although the timing isn't great, Samsung makes some quality stuff and their new notebook should give the competition a run for its money.[/citation]
+1

Good article!

G

Thanks for a pretty well done review. I am really excited by this product, it has just exactly what I am looking for and not much else (well ok, maybe the fingerprint scanner is unnecessary but pretty damn cool anyhow :D )

One thing that I still feel unsure about tho, is how x360 compares to MB Air, in terms of performance etc. I am not so picky about the little differences in weight and/or measures as long as the machine has a better performance to justify it. I am a very very content Mac user and that's mostly thanks to the wonderful operating system, Tiger. However I am not too happy about Apple's strategies in designing models (i.e. they don't have a wide enough product span) and pricing. So I could definitely imagine buying X360 and installing a nice good old Linux on it.

As I said, are there any references of a test with these two products with focus on performance?

G

Hey Unix/Linux developer guy, you know there's this thing you can do with wintel boxes. it's called install your own os. If you don't like windows, then install something else, sheesh- you sound pretty helpless for an all-powerful developer. If you think *nix is virus free you're the idiot. It's developers like you that make the jobs of systems engineers like me so difficult. I have to write better monitors to protect my enterprise against shortsighted code written by developers like you.

If you can't work with multiple OSes, you can't be that good a developer.

and clearly at least to us mortals, at this price range, practicality an value are playing second fiddle since there are ultraportables for half the price.

G

Well, i just installed Kubuntu 8.10 on it, with KDE4.2beta1 and it works fine. KDE4 makes it a great machine. A pity it comes by default with DOS instead of Linux.

G

I would love to hear about fan noise / how often fan is on. Noise has always been my first priority when evaluating a notebook computer. I love the 'PowerManager' applet from Lenovo that allows one to prioritize for minimal fan use. Great article!

Status
Not open for further replies.