Sony Announces PlayStation-brand 3D Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsheridan

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
"two gamers playing on multiplayer to see individual, unique, full-screen images", that will be nice....finally the other player won't look at your screen to figure out where you are during a FPS match.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]jsheridan[/nom]"two gamers playing on multiplayer to see individual, unique, full-screen images", that will be nice....finally the other player won't look at your screen to figure out where you are during a FPS match.[/citation]

It'll be interesting to see how well that feature works in operation.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
A 1080p panel is nice, but HDMI 1.4 still limits you to 720p60 in 3D mode, same for this new multiplayer dual-view concept.
I hope there is absolutely no crosstalk. It's bothersome in 3d, but it would be even more serious in mutiplayer dual-view.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
the company also announced the very first PlayStation-brand 3D monitor....

Though the picture says SONY.

I know SONY makes the PlayStation.... but I thought for this the actual monitor would have the PlayStation Logo/name on it.

note:either way I'm not interested on 3D
[face_peace]

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]the company also announced the very first PlayStation-brand 3D monitor....Though the picture says SONY.I know SONY makes the PlayStation.... but I thought for this the actual monitor would have the PlayStation Logo/name on it.note:either way I'm not interested on 3D [face_peace][/citation]
It also has the little PS logo on it.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I think my prayers have been answered, almost.

When I originally bought my PS3 in 2007, got a Sony 32" 720p TV but returned only a day later. 720p wasn't going to cut it. So, I had to have a 20"+ computer monitor (will only be a foot away from the screen) with HDMI and a glossy screen; PC gamer converting over to full console. Still had a 19" ViewSonic Flat panel CRT. Settled on a Gateway 24" (FHD2400) that looked so beautiful in the store, with a speaker bar you bought separately, and still using the display to this day. But because of the way the HDMI audio is handled, I get pops and clicks. Also have a scratch in the top right hand corner from being transported. I am also a habitual headphone user. It's also used it in conjunction with my laptop.

So have recently been looking at displays for the near future and this almost answered my prayers. The deal breaker for me in the matte display. I HAVE to have a glossy display. And know I am not the only one out there :) Maybe that will change in the future, but as of right now, I need that "gloss" to my images, be it video, or games.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
OK, so just found this on Kotaku. It is a short video of the TV in action.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/06/th...v-that-shows-different-images-to-two-players/

The tech is definitely interesting. Also, can't really tell if it's the different images for each player, but, it might actually be a glossy screen; I am REALLY hoping. If it is, then this would be my PERFECT monitor. Would have to see it in person myself first.

Also to to people saying they would love a 27", would you really? The pixel pitch would be to big for sitting right in front of it for a 1080p monitor/display. 23/24" is kind of the "sweet" spot for 1080p/1200p displays.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
So, apparently there is something wrong with URL links right now, so here is that Kotaku link that was supposed to be in my post:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/06/the-playstation-tv-a-3dtv-that-shows-different-images-to-two-players/

G

I guess it's another of those cheap TN panels...
when will we get an IPS 3D monitor?

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
allows two gamers playing on multiplayer to see individual, unique, full-screen images
A nice feature, I imagine it could extend further if they get/keep frame and refresh rates high enough. One slight issue perhaps though might be that anyone in the room without glasses on would potentially see some horrid mixture of the two images - where as a 3d thing is likely to be mostly harmless without glasses and just blur things a bit, having entirely distinct pictures could be quite difficult to deal with(?)

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
It is a nice accessory for a computer but get real, for my PS3 I use my TV which is 50 inches. I would not go down to a 24 inch. When are the larger ones coming out(Price)?

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]OK, so just found this on Kotaku. It is a short video of the TV in action.The tech is definitely interesting. Also, can't really tell if it's the different images for each player, but, it might actually be a glossy screen; I am REALLY hoping. If it is, then this would be my PERFECT monitor. Would have to see it in person myself first.Also to to people saying they would love a 27", would you really? The pixel pitch would be to big for sitting right in front of it for a 1080p monitor/display. 23/24" is kind of the "sweet" spot for 1080p/1200p displays.[/citation]
Maybe, just maybe, the people who want it to be 27" don't want to sit right in front of it like you do. Maybe they want to sit 6 feet away from it. 23/24" displays are too small if you are sitting 6 feet away.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Range Rover has used dual-view monitors (~6-iches) in their Sat-Nav/Stereo/Media units for a year or so. The design their monitors use doesn't require any special glasses at all. (Top Gear demonstrated it in Series 14, Episode 4 for those interested.)

Anything that requires special glasses still seems gimmicky to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.