Google Preps Chrome For IPv6 Test Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Might have been worth mentioning when IPV6 day is?

(why does this crap say i'm posting anonymous and then insist on a login?)

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I'm glad to see some prominent action regarding what will be the future of the internet - at least as far as we know now.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I don't want to participate.

I want an internet protocol that's at least partly backwards compatible. It's possible to do this, by the way, though everybody seems to ignore that fact.

I also want IP addresses that are easy to remember- a sequence of numbers is easier to memorize than a series of numbers and letters.

Finally, I want IP addresses that aren't tied to MAC addresses.

So hurry up, and let's get an RFC with an intelligent plan for the future!

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Putting MAC addresses into IPv6 is an indescribably poor choice. I'll be clinging on to IPv4 for as long as possible.[/citation]

Ive seen a couple of people mention this. While there is one standard of IPv6 addressing that uses this, Its not a popular way of doing IPv6 addressing and probably wouldnt be used specifically do to the privacy issues that it would entail. There are several other standards on how to issue IPv6 address that don't contain your mac address.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]IPV6 has many advantages over V4.... why wouldn't you want to participate?[/citation]
Because some people can't? For instance, I can connect via ipv6, but I cannot do it by domain name, thus making it useless. If that is still the case by ipv6 day, I won't be able to participate. Dang comcast...

Status
Not open for further replies.