Acer Aspire One Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
no mention of the hard drive version
the 120GB 2.5" HDD versions are the ones to get (if you want one) and only the hard drive version will run XP nicely.

the SSDs suck on these things and are only good for running linpus linux

right now I can go to the my local store and pick one up for $409 CAD which is great because most of the comparable netbooks are $100 to $200 more expensive

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
The author of this article is completely incompetent. The Linpus system is fully customizable and extendable. It features standard xfce desktop and yum package manager (which DOES handle rpm's). Access to these is described here:
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28.
The system interface that comes out of the box is designed to make it easy for people with no computer experience at all, but it is easily unlocked to get a pretty standard red-hat based system.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
As to the hdd-version I would never consider one because of the reliability. Hdd's is the main cause of failures in laptops (maybe except for spilling liquid on them). They are the only component sensitive to the slightest shock. Having an hdd in a small, mobile laptop like that defies its purpose. You will probably carry it around alot - not at all as a normal laptop, actually more like a bigger pda - then its easy for an accident.
With a solid state drive (ssd), even if you drop it to the ground the data on the drive is safe.

G

"Unfortunately, however, it falls over backwards if the display is opened more than 90°."

The images in the gallery appear to contradict this statement.

G

"Unfortunately, however, it falls over backwards if the display is opened more than 90°."

Unless you always sit like a Mayan Chac-Mool or like you where driving an italian car (with your knees up)

G

Does anyone know if the XP version has dual monitor capability. I called Acer Tech Support to ask and all they could tell me is "no, it only has one VGA port".

G

Yes, the XP version supports dual monitors, at least mine does. I have the 160GB XP Home version (A0A 150 - 1283) and connected an external 19" display with 1280 x 1024 resolution. Going into the graphic properties (only after connecting the second monitor) allowed me to set the extended desktop onto the external monitor at it's full 1280 x 1024 resolution. I was then able to move the mouse back and forth between the displays if I used the top half of the external display.

My biggest complaint is with the keyboard. I generally like the layout and feel of the keys but since I live in Canada we get stuck with the Multilingual keyboard which halves the left shift key to make room for a special accent key and also changes the return key to make it smaller and put some extra keys beside it.

I can get a US keyboard on eBay for $55 plus shipping and may do this as this one is driving me crazy.

G

I replaced my desktop with a 17" laptop, but it's a beast to lug around. Instead of flash drive, I bought the hard drive version of the Aspire One with Windows XP, along with a 160 GB HDD, 1 GB ram and 6 cell battery that fits in my purse for only $350? Such a deal!

G

I bought an Acer Aspire One (AAO) this fall and within weeks the screen blacked out upon booting. Rather than replacing my AAO , Acer referred me to a technical repair depot. After 6 weeks still no word - then two weeks ago after calling Acer they said they would send me a new one on “back-order” - still no sight of it. Today when i called they said they have no idea when the “back-order” will be filled. Just wonderful customer support - not! Wish i had bought a MacBook now…..

Speaker

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
I bought an Acer Aspire One 12/2008 and downloaded the updated Mobile Intel 945 chipset. It will not talk to a remote Dell monitor nor will it talk to an Acer PD311 projector. I called tech support because it clearly has a 15-pin D-sub connector on the side and, after an hour waiting for Level 2 support, a technician told me it did not support two monitors and I could toggle between them using Fn+F5. That does not work. The remote monitor displays an Acer screen but no icons and does not show anything opened on the laptop screen, nor does it show movement of mouse, etc. This is similar to a problem I used to have with an Dell Inspiron 60000 (Windows XP) that Dell eventually fixed with some driver downloads. The little Acer Aspire One is cute but it is useless for road warrior work (I'm a public speaker) if one cannot even toggle between displays. By the way, while Acer was courteous, it did not recognize its own serial numbers and claimed they were invalid. I had to go through painful phone registration. I am taking the computer back to Costco as it has no real value if it can't talk to a larger monitor. It's a cute idea - too bad it's not ready for prime time.

Status
Not open for further replies.