Austria Hires 1600 Soldiers for 'Cyber' Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zooman580

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
"governments are changing and how they are evaluating threats to their national security"

one day the equivalent of SEAL team six will be overweight guys in a dark room filled with computers

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Probably not as the military has and always will be needed at some point in time. There's always war, it's just that there might not be many on the physical battlefield as those on the electronic one.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
The focus of the country's vulnerability is now on its IT infrastructure ("cyber crime" as well as "cyber attacks") and a general abuse of the Internet to transport extremist views and facilitate illegal activity.

How long before general abuse includes lawful political dissent!

WHComp

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
[citation][nom]zooman580[/nom]"governments are changing and how they are evaluating threats to their national security"[/citation]

Couldn't agree more, governments are going to have to start focusing significant man hours for this.

[citation][nom]zooman580[/nom]one day the equivalent of SEAL team six will be overweight guys in a dark room filled with computers[/citation]

Couldn't disagree more, We will always need soldiers to protect those six overweight guys from the other soldiers with guns.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]WHComp[/nom]Couldn't agree more, governments are going to have to start focusing significant man hours for this.
Couldn't disagree more, We will always need soldiers to protect those six overweight guys from the other soldiers with guns.[/citation]
Zooman580 never said we would not need actual soldiers he just said a special ops team might only consist of those six or similar. Meaning that they will need more "cyber" soldiers for special operations than actual combat soldiers for particular missions/operations/whatever.

Obviously they will always need actual people to the killing and dying, otherwise where would the fun be in it all? :D

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]"It is somewhat surprising" well only if you are an american. there are developed countries that don't have anykind enemies around the world and don't require any overkill army to defend from what it created. that's why it only has a small army and concentrates on essential things. you known.. the usual... not bombing or invading other countries, not creating more enemies, humanitarian operations, participating in UN peace operations, helping the population etc.[/citation]

-It can be argued that the world where in was created by the euro powers from the colonial times, first, and second world war. they where the ones who carved up alot of these countries during there rain. There also responsable for alot of tention because they had no regard for geo polatics when they made the boarders for these countries.

-So whats the US military doing in japan? Murder and destruction? I thought sending in people to help save lives, and provide food and water was called humanitarian aid (O look desaster releaf before the UN responded imagion that) The US military has the infustructure to move massive resourses in a short amount of time (relatively speaking) name one organization that can move more manpower, more hardware, and more aid faster then them. name one country that can move masive amounts of equipment faster then the US military. Name one organization that can do it in a short time.

can you??? probably not because it requires those weapons you so hate to do it.

-Last time I checked the US was trying to work its way out of conflict, while the last countries that have seen attacks where done by france and other members, with the US presidant declaring a vary limited role in the conflict in that event we know so well.

-I think the wording your looking for is the US should stop putting up the tab for both the UN and NATOs military decisions. If they stop trying to get the US involved in conflict, then it wount need to spend so much the military. Of course this is happening right now to. (the reason why no Nimitz class ships where used on the attacks on Gadhafi)

-That vast military that you gripe on as such a waist is also one of the biggest desaster releaf tool that the US has. If you dont think so, then you obviously glazz over the part about US ships going to help this, or that in every desaster event in the last how many years?

I know there are arguments going for and against everything I listed but the fact is applying a broad label without even making sure if your argument is sound really is sad, and this was just stuff of the top of my head that ive glanced at in the news, etc.

You should really keep your information up to date if you want to Troll, and selective reading is something you should work on to. Im sure after a while youll be able to pick up on the words "US" and "ship" in those desaster relief articles in no time.

This story was about cyber security. I beleave it is vary important for a country to at least understand the nature of the threat, moves like these should be followed by every country, possably establishing a NATO version dedicated to cyber security would be really nice... but I can see that going bad if the wrong people get involved.

Sen Tzu "In peace prepare for war, in war prepare for peace."

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]khimera2000[/nom](O look desaster releaf before the UN responded imagion that)[/citation]
[citation][nom]khimera2000[/nom]That vast military that you gripe on as such a waist is also one of the biggest desaster releaf tool that the US has. If you dont think so, then you obviously glazz over the part about US ships going to help this, or that in every desaster event[/citation]
Me finks dat you is wun of dem raisons the US cantinues two bee in conflict wen you is sew easily branewashed that it is all for "Humanitarian reasons" and "War on terror" hiding the any other agenda the US may have.
I guess it helps my beliefs when the post from you has the spelling and fluency of something written by a 2nd grader.
PS: My spelling in the first part was intentionally wrong and was simply highlighting my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.