Direct Connect

Byzix

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
I've been trying to mess around with Direct Connect (neo-modus), and can't seem to connect to other users. The FAQ says to switch to passive mode and call it a day or you can go threw and open ports for the app. I have a linksys router, and I seem to only be able to open a 4 digit port, or range of ports -> the FAQ states that I should be opening a port above 10,000 to 30,000... How do I do this if I can only open upto 9999? I have tried opening a random port and messing around with no luck yet. If anyone is familiar with DC and could explain the process of fowarding for this application I would appreciate it. Thanks.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The usable port range is 1 to 65535. You should have no problem opening a port in the 30000 range.
Do you have the latest firmware update for your router? Maybe earlier versions wouldn't let you go above a 4 digit port.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Byzix

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
ok I can open a 5 digit number, but even now I am using the port range suggested by the HELP/FAQ and I still cannot connect to anyone. I have the search and download ports open and set to both udp and tcp, I entered my exernal IP address, and that should be it... what am I doing wrong?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you followed their little FAQ thing you "should" be good to go. I've never used that software or even heard of it for that matter so anything beyond the networking I'm in the dark for it.
The troubleshooter on their site says you will need to use passive mode with your current setup. Are you in passive mode?

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Byzix

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
no I am not in passive mode, but if you look further in the FAQ you can configure active mode to work with a hardware firewall by mapping ports. I have tried passive mode, I get the same thing, I am unable to browse other users (connect to anyone for that matter).

lasse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have not tried passive mode so my answer does not really help you on that question but I use DC++ in active mode where I type a port of my choice in DC and connect the same port number and the DC computers ip number in my router.
This works great until my ISP changes my IP number.