Why Epic Loves Apple iOS and Dislikes Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Or how about, I don't give a monkeys about your new engine on the iCrap Epic!

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Utter disbelief, I can't really explain how backward this kind of thinking is or how I truly think about it.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
That's why I ordered an iPad 2.

If I were an app developer for tablets, I'd develop for iPad. Only 2 possible hardware configurations and millions of potential customers.

How many Xooms has Motorola sold in a month? Only 100,000 according to Deutsche Bank

G

Epic Fail, i for one dont care about them never actually liked Gears of war crap.
So screwed them they will eventually know that Android market is important but is gonna
be a little too late the market will be flooded with A quality games.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I blame Samsung because I can.

Mostly because us Galaxy S owners have had samsung over-allocate RAM to absolutely nothing, my other devices seem to be able to use 300MB (they have 512MB of ram too and 300mb free to run programs on) unlike my Galaxy S which has 100MB available and can't do much with, my friends Desire HD can still use up to 500MB of their ram to run apps..

Another point is that I would welcome a limit to the least amount of power a Android device can provide, I have a Android tablet with a 300MHz CPU and it can't run anything.

G

Yeah, because PC's don't really have minimum requirements for playing games, any eMachine or Dell is capable of playing Crysis right off the shelf. Heaven forbid we have to tell entry-level smartphones that they're S.O.L., or worse yet, take the unprecedented step of having an "ultra low details" setting to make it work on crappy phones.

/sarcasm

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Andorid is like the PC market, different levels of hardware. Not every pc gamer has the same video card or screen size, same as android phones. All they have to do is make the game similar to pc games, allow the customer some customization in the graphics of the game so that someone with a really powerful phone can play it at high settings while someone with a lowend phone can play at low settings.

I realize it may add some more programing to the games but at least they would be able to serve a wider audience.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Crysis had OK graphics, but was very poorly programmed.
It's funny that the latter became the reason, to believe it had "advanced graphics".

thegamersblog

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
If the want scaleable and upgradeable hardware... why not build for the PC market? Whats with all these crappy casual games companies keep pumping out?

G

Google needs to come up with a hardware certification system so consumers will know if an android device has enough cpu/graphics/memory etc ability to run certain apps.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Epic = weak.

Hey EPIC... when you guys can learn how to hire talent that can design a decent UT game that doesn't have crappy maps and important features turned off (Vehicle zoom is important and would have made UT3 about 5x more fun - I know, I tried out the 16k MOD and it made UT3 F U N ) - kind of make your words and opinions rather low.

Get more talent, then come back to us.

twile

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I'm completely perplexed. This is Epic we're talking about, right? The company which has made lots of really good PC games over the past decade+? The company which just showcased their new hotness on PC? How can they possibly complain that Android devices provide an inconsistent experience, having such a history of making software that scales well on PCs?

Okay, some Android devices won't play your game well because they're too low-end. This is nothing new to gaming or Epic.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
The more I see Epic in the news lately the more I realize that a company tha was once a great developer...inturn morphed into a "maximum money possible" company. It seems they cut corners to make more $$$ instead of making product more exciting or break-through.

While making profits is definately important they should not forget what made them great in the first place, and it was definately not "lets cut a corner" attitude. They sound too spoiled at this point.
If they keep continuing with this snoby fashion I'm sure they will be Epic-ly forgotten company in not so distant future.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
[citation]Tim Sweeney said. "Google needs to be a little more evil. They need to be far more controlling."[/citation]

No, your engine needs to be more flexible and scalable.

I really hope Android get a blockbuster game soon. Something like Doom did for the PC. That is what it needs.

G

Wait, isn't Dungeon Defenders: First Wave on UE3 already? What do you mean Android is getting left out?

santeana

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
What Epic meant to say was "Google needs to be far more controlling because then more costumers would be forced to pay for software. It is too easy to pirate software for Android and that is why we prefer Apple devices."

And I mean there is nothing wrong with that belief from a corporate point of view, so why not just come out and say it? Everyone knows that (ok maybe not EVERYONE knows) Android devices get upgraded and replaced on a much more rapid scale than Apple ones. Every few months as opposed to Apple's once per year. Reason of course is that there are just so many vendors providing devices and competing for market.
Epic's reasons for preferring iOS to Android is all about money. Has nothing to do with programming or a "consistent" customer experience! They see that more Apple customers are willing to pay for apps than are Android customers. Of course the reason for that is because its such a pain in the ass to pirate software for the iPhone and stuff. Doable, but just a pain. Epic wants the buck. And just like any other big corporation these days, they will screw anyone over they have to to get it.

Lyrick

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
"The Unreal Engine demo was running in real-time on dual GeForce GTX 480 GPUs, but the engine isn't just for high-end computers"

Make that 3 GTX 580s

Lyrick

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
"The Unreal Engine demo was running in real-time on dual GeForce GTX 480 GPUs, but the engine isn't just for high-end computers"

Make that 3 GTX 580s

Status
Not open for further replies.